Manchester United have taken concrete steps to land Juventus midfielder Adrien Rabiot this summer, Italian outlet Calciomercato reports.
The Red Devils are eyeing reinforcements for the midfield department. Barcelona’s Frenkie de Jong has been constantly linked this month.
However, the club are also considering several other options, and it was recently reported that they have an interest in signing Rabiot.
Calciomercato now claim that the Red Devils have ‘taken concrete steps’ towards the player and his €15 million price tag is not a problem.
The Frenchman has been a long-term target for United, but it is specifically mentioned that convincing him to join the club is not so simple.
Rabiot has been a solid performer for the Bianconeri. He averaged an impressive two tackles per game last season, operating from the central and defensive midfield positions.
The Frenchman also excelled with his hold-up play, dribbling and knack for picking out key passes. At 27, he is in the peak of his career, and would be a quality acquisition for United.
The Red Devils would have no trouble in meeting the Bianconeri’s valuation as well as his wage demands, but the lack of Champions League football could be a drawback for the club.
If Rabiot were to move to the Premier League, Chelsea may have a better chance of pursuing him for that reason. It remains to be seen whether United can persuade him to join.
United have yet sign anyone this summer, but new manager Erik ten Hag is deemed to have convinced Frenkie de Jong over a transfer. The club are now locked in negotiations with Barcelona.
The Dutch tactician could play a role in influencing Rabiot’s decision, though it won’t be an easy task with Atletico Madrid and Paris Saint-Germain also mentioned as possible suitors.
Stats from Transfermarkt.com and WhoScored.com
- Man Utd confirm long-term deal for Zidane Iqbal, Fernandez and Garnacho assigned new squad numbers
- Man United goalkeeper Nathan Bishop closing in on Wycombe Wanderers loan move
- Manchester United join race for Marco Asensio as Ajax put 80m price tag on Antony
- Man Utd to make transfer offer for Denzel Dumfries
- Frenkie de Jong open to joining Man Utd as they near agreement with Barcelona
- Man Utd may need to spend £130m to land Antony and Lisandro Martinez
- Cristiano Ronaldo and Harry Maguire were involved in captaincy dispute
- Man Utd ready to battle Chelsea for Matthijs de Ligt
- Man Utd aim to seal Frenkie de Jong deal before Thursday
- Man Utd’s pre-season starts: Erik ten Hag’s demands, returning players and De Jong latest