Manchester United are serious over a summer deal for Juventus midfielder Adrien Rabiot, Italian outlet Corriere dello Sport (today’s edition, page 7) claims.
The 27-year-old has been with the Bianconeri for the past three seasons, but he is expected to be on the move, having revealed his intention to pursue a fresh challenge.
United were recently reported to have ‘taken concrete steps‘ towards him, and Corriere dello Sport now cite that they have a ‘serious’ interest in securing his services.
Meanwhile, Chelsea and Newcastle United are also ‘thinking about’ a possible approach alongside Paris Saint-Germain, who could attempt to re-sign their graduate.
United are prioritising a new midfielder this summer, and it is widely known that Barcelona’s Frenkie de Jong is the prime target. The club are currently €10-15 million apart from Barcelona’s €80m valuation.
Regardless of their pursuit of De Jong, United could be tempted to sign another midfielder due to the hectic schedule next season on either side of the winter World Cup.
United may have to play as many as 10 games in October while there could be a similar phase in April 2023. Rabiot would be a top-class signing for the club with his low price tag.
He could be available for just €15-20m with his contract expiring next summer. This can be seen as a good bargain, given he is currently in the prime of his playing career.
The Frenchman is solid with his hold-up play and does not shy away from making challenges. He averaged an impressive 2.1 tackles per Serie A appearance last season.
He should be well suited to the demands of the Premier League, but United may need to act fast, particularly with competition from Chelsea, who can offer Champions League football.
Paris Saint-Germain have also been touted to re-sign the France international, but their interest may have cooled after finalising the transfer of Porto midfielder Vitinha.
Stats from Transfermarkt.com and WhoScored.com
- Man Utd confirm long-term deal for Zidane Iqbal, Fernandez and Garnacho assigned new squad numbers
- Man United goalkeeper Nathan Bishop closing in on Wycombe Wanderers loan move
- Manchester United join race for Marco Asensio as Ajax put 80m price tag on Antony
- Man Utd to make transfer offer for Denzel Dumfries
- Frenkie de Jong open to joining Man Utd as they near agreement with Barcelona
- Man Utd may need to spend £130m to land Antony and Lisandro Martinez
- Cristiano Ronaldo and Harry Maguire were involved in captaincy dispute
- Man Utd ready to battle Chelsea for Matthijs de Ligt
- Man Utd aim to seal Frenkie de Jong deal before Thursday
- Man Utd’s pre-season starts: Erik ten Hag’s demands, returning players and De Jong latest