Manchester United are serious over a summer deal for Juventus midfielder Adrien Rabiot, Italian outlet Corriere dello Sport (today’s edition, page 7) claims.
The 27-year-old has been with the Bianconeri for the past three seasons, but he is expected to be on the move, having revealed his intention to pursue a fresh challenge.
United were recently reported to have ‘taken concrete steps‘ towards him, and Corriere dello Sport now cite that they have a ‘serious’ interest in securing his services.
Meanwhile, Chelsea and Newcastle United are also ‘thinking about’ a possible approach alongside Paris Saint-Germain, who could attempt to re-sign their graduate.
United are prioritising a new midfielder this summer, and it is widely known that Barcelona’s Frenkie de Jong is the prime target. The club are currently €10-15 million apart from Barcelona’s €80m valuation.
Regardless of their pursuit of De Jong, United could be tempted to sign another midfielder due to the hectic schedule next season on either side of the winter World Cup.
United may have to play as many as 10 games in October while there could be a similar phase in April 2023. Rabiot would be a top-class signing for the club with his low price tag.
He could be available for just €15-20m with his contract expiring next summer. This can be seen as a good bargain, given he is currently in the prime of his playing career.
The Frenchman is solid with his hold-up play and does not shy away from making challenges. He averaged an impressive 2.1 tackles per Serie A appearance last season.
He should be well suited to the demands of the Premier League, but United may need to act fast, particularly with competition from Chelsea, who can offer Champions League football.
Paris Saint-Germain have also been touted to re-sign the France international, but their interest may have cooled after finalising the transfer of Porto midfielder Vitinha.
Stats from Transfermarkt.com and WhoScored.com
- Fabrizio Romano confirms Dean Henderson is close to Nottingham Forest transfer
- Victor Lindelof set to be offered fresh terms by Man Utd, Erik ten Hag wants to keep him
- Man Utd keeping tabs on Leon Goretzka amid Bayern’s pursuit of Declan Rice
- Man Utd step up interest in signing Atalanta sensation Rasmus Hojlund
- Glazers give green light to pursue deal for Chelsea star Mason Mount
- Man United keeping tabs on Chicago Fire midfielder Brian Gutierrez
- Jack Butland completes Rangers medical as Man United exit all but confirmed
- Kim Min-jae ready to say yes to Man Utd, €7m per year deal proposed
- Man Utd could return for Barcelona star Ansu Fati as Ten Hag eyes another left winger
- Man Utd closely following Sporting defender Goncalo Inacio