Manchester United have no intention of parting ways with defender Diogo Dalot this summer, Manchester Evening News reports.
The Portuguese started the campaign as the deputy right-back behind Aaron Wan-Bissaka, but it has been vice-versa during the back end of the season.
It is now reported that the hierarchy have no desire of selling Dalot in the upcoming transfer window as new manager Erik ten Hag plans to keep him next term.
United could still reinforce the right-back department as Aaron Wan-Bissaka has been told that he is free to leave. He could be either loaned out or sold.
Dalot was linked with a potential move away from Old Trafford last summer. There were suggestions that Kieran Trippier could arrive from Atletico Madrid to replace him.
However, nothing of that sort happened. Dalot was denied a late loan switch to Borussia Dortmund, and the decision has definitely proved worthwhile on a personal point of view.
The 23-year-old has been a regular starter at right-back during the second half of the season under interim boss Ralf Rangnick. His attacking attributes have seen him preferred over Wan-Bissaka in the XI.
The Portuguese has not made a single goal contribution this term, but has shown promise with quality long balls and ability to make overlapping runs unlike Wan-Bissaka, who is more defensive-minded.
With Ten Hag also preferring a high pressing style of football, it appears Dalot will have a future at the club, but the Dutchman may still want another quality competitor for a reasonable price.
RB Leipzig’s Nordi Mukiele comes first to our mind. The Frenchman registered seven goal contributions in the recent campaign, and could now be on the move with his deal expiring in 12 months.
As per Bild, he could be prised away for around €10 million. The 24-year-old has flourished with his forward runs at Leipzig, but has also been solid defensively, which has not always been the case with Dalot.
Stats from Transfermarkt.com
- Man Utd confirm long-term deal for Zidane Iqbal, Fernandez and Garnacho assigned new squad numbers
- Man United goalkeeper Nathan Bishop closing in on Wycombe Wanderers loan move
- Manchester United join race for Marco Asensio as Ajax put 80m price tag on Antony
- Man Utd to make transfer offer for Denzel Dumfries
- Frenkie de Jong open to joining Man Utd as they near agreement with Barcelona
- Man Utd may need to spend £130m to land Antony and Lisandro Martinez
- Cristiano Ronaldo and Harry Maguire were involved in captaincy dispute
- Man Utd ready to battle Chelsea for Matthijs de Ligt
- Man Utd aim to seal Frenkie de Jong deal before Thursday
- Man Utd’s pre-season starts: Erik ten Hag’s demands, returning players and De Jong latest