Manchester United have a new wish to sign Real Sociedad defender Robin Le Normand, according to Spanish outlet Fichajes.
The Red Devils were on the search for a marquee centre-back last summer but did not have the required funds to pursue one.
The club were planning to offload Harry Maguire to land a replacement but the former captain decided to fight for his future.
As a result, the hierarchy decided to sign Jonny Evans on a free transfer instead but they are likely to invest on a top recruit in future.
Fichajes claim that Le Normand has emerged as a ‘new wish’ for the Red Devils. The Spaniard could come in as a replacement for Maguire.
United may not spend on marquee centre-back until the summer
United tried to sign a quality centre-back during the final phase of the summer transfer window but they required a big money sale first.
Maguire was heavily linked with a move to West Ham United but a deal did not materialise with the Englishman opting to stay put.
In our view, it is unlikely that United will pursue a marquee signing for their central defence until the summer due to Financial Fair Play issues.
The club may have to wait until the end of the financial year to sign one unless Maguire leaves in January which is highly unlikely to happen.
Le Normand would be a good signing as he is the prime of his career. The 26-year-old is a good ball-playing defender who likes to clear his lines.
He has also impressed when it comes to winning duels and has a success rate of 61 per cent this term.
The Spaniard won’t come on the cheap for United. He has a release clause worth €50m in his contract and Sociedad may not negotiate on the fee.
Aside from United, Real Madrid are also in the picture for Le Normand. United will need to plan early to put themselves in pole position to sign him.
Stats from Sofascore.com
- Erik ten Hag confirms Rasmus Hojlund and Antony are available for selection vs Galatasaray
- Man United handed huge injury boost as Rasmus Hojlund and Antony return to training
- Newcastle United’s home prowess set to test Manchester United’s resurgence
- Man Utd in the front line to sign Joao Neves but Benfica aim to increase release clause
- Preview: Galatasaray vs Manchester United – prediction, team news, line-ups
- Sofyan Amrabat’s future at United no longer obvious with Kobbie Mainoo’s emergence
- Man United interested in Leipzig striker Timo Werner
- Stats show Harry Maguire has fared better than Arsenal star William Saliba in defensive actions
- Gareth Southgate to hold talks with Kobbie Mainoo as he is desperate to see him pledge his international future to England
- Three Manchester United changes Erik ten Hag should make for the must-win UCL clash against Galatasaray