Manchester United have made a better proposal than Barcelona to sign Wolverhampton Wanderers midfielder Ruben Neves, Portuguese outlet O Jogo (today’s edition, page 6) claims.
The Red Devils are prioritising a new defensive midfielder this summer, and it has been frequently claimed that Frenkie de Jong is the prime target for manager Erik ten Hag.
However, there have also been links with Neves, and it is now reported that United have made a transfer proposal that is more advantageous over Barcelona’s for Wolves.
The offer is also ‘much more attractive’ in the form of payments. Wolves are aiming to sanction the sale of Neves first before pursuing Joao Palhinha’s signature from Sporting.
Neves has been one of the Premier League’s best-performing midfielders. He had a solid 2021/2022 campaign with an average of 2.1 tackles and 1.2 interceptions per game.
Aside from his defensive contributions, he caught the eye with nearly two dribbles per game while chipping in with four goals and two assists over the course of the season.
Neves would be a quality acquisition for United. Wolves value him at around £50 million, and judging by O Jogo’s story, the Red Devils could be prepared to meet the figure.
United are certainly better placed to sign him over Barcelona, who have plenty of financial problems at the moment, but they may need to convince the Portuguese over a transfer.
Neves would surely relish continuing in the Premier League with a club of the Red Devils’ calibre, but he seems to have an underlying preference to join Barcelona this summer.
This could potentially prolong negotiations during the transfer window. United should turn their attention elsewhere if they don’t receive a positive response from the player’s end.
Stats from Transfermarkt.com and WhoScored.com
- Man Utd confirm long-term deal for Zidane Iqbal, Fernandez and Garnacho assigned new squad numbers
- Man United goalkeeper Nathan Bishop closing in on Wycombe Wanderers loan move
- Manchester United join race for Marco Asensio as Ajax put 80m price tag on Antony
- Man Utd to make transfer offer for Denzel Dumfries
- Frenkie de Jong open to joining Man Utd as they near agreement with Barcelona
- Man Utd may need to spend £130m to land Antony and Lisandro Martinez
- Cristiano Ronaldo and Harry Maguire were involved in captaincy dispute
- Man Utd ready to battle Chelsea for Matthijs de Ligt
- Man Utd aim to seal Frenkie de Jong deal before Thursday
- Man Utd’s pre-season starts: Erik ten Hag’s demands, returning players and De Jong latest