Manchester United have knocked on the door of Ajax for Mohammed Kudus, according to Mundo Deportivo (today’s edition, page 19).
The Red Devils signed Lisandro Martinez and Antony from the Dutch champions last summer, and it is now reported that they could make another raid in January.
Kudus has had a fine season for Ajax, registering 10 goals and two assists from 21 games. He was also impressive for Ghana at the World Cup, scoring two times.
His progress has caught the eye of United, who are now knocking on Ajax’s door. The Dutch outfit are prepared to do business if their €45 million asking price is met.
Erik ten Hag could reunite with another Ajax star
Erik ten Hag had a key role to play in the signings of Martinez and Antony from Ajax last summer. The former could have joined Arsenal if not for United’s interest in signing him.
Ten Hag is now interested in landing Kudus, who played under him for two seasons at Ajax. The Ghanaian was not a regular due to injuries, but he has found his feet in Amsterdam this term.
The 22-year-old has shared his minutes from the number 10 and centre-forward roles this season, but he is also capable of playing in central midfield or on the right side of the attack.
His immense versatility fits into the profile of player that the manager is looking for. The big question is whether United will consider Kudus amid their strong interest in PSV’s Cody Gakpo.
The club have opened talks with PSV to sign the Dutchman for less than £50m (€56m). The board may only give preference to one marquee signing and Gakpo seems the more realistic target.
Ten Hag is a big admirer of the 23-year-old and will certainly pick him over Kudus next month.
Stats from Transfermarkt.com
- Manchester United vs Leeds United: Premier League preview, team news & predicted starting XI
- Man Utd have identified Victor Osimhen as target with Harry Kane deal unlikely
- Man Utd made £100m bid for Declan Rice last summer, West Ham set fresh asking price
- Man Utd very attentive over Yannick Carrasco’s situation at Atletico Madrid
- Man Utd in advanced contract talks with Diogo Dalot amid Barcelona interest
- Could Kobbie Mainoo make his league debut for Manchester United in the absence of star midfielders?
- Man Utd’s transfer priority is clear after fresh Anthony Martial injury blow
- Man Utd handed early Europa League boost with two key Barcelona stars injured
- Erik ten Hag has easy midfield decision vs Leeds United with four players out
- Nottingham Forest eager to sign Dean Henderson permanently next summer