Manchester United have initiated negotiations to sign Lyon midfielder Houssem Aouar on a free transfer, according to Spanish outlet El Chiringuito.
However, it is now reported that they are in contact with Aouar, who has entered the final three months of his contract with Lyon.
Eintracht Frankfurt and Real Betis have also been linked with the 24-year-old, but he is likely to delay his decision until the summer.
The Frenchman has his sights on playing Champions League football next season.
Man Utd should repeat Christian Eriksen trick on Aouar
United signed Christian Eriksen on a free transfer last summer after his impressive stint with Brentford.
There were initially doubts over the move but the Dane has proved a tremendous acquisition with two goals and nine assists so far.
The midfielder could have made many more goal contributions but he unfortunately picked up a serious ankle injury in late January.
Eriksen is set to make his return this month and he could have a big role to play for the club in their Champions League pursuit.
In our opinion, United should repeat the Eriksen trick on Aouar. The 24-year-old would be a superb bargain signing on a free transfer.
The Frenchman has struggled with injuries this campaign but his overall record for Les Gones has been impressive since his debut.
Over the past five years, he has averaged 12 or more goal contributions per season. He could fare better with elite players around him.
Stats from Transfermarkt.com
- Dermot Gallagher: Officials made right decision not to award Manchester United penalty against Crystal Palace after ball struck Joel Ward’s arm
- Erik ten Hag confirms Antony will be in consideration for Galatasaray clash
- Three goals in last four meetings – Man Utd must be wary of Wilfried Zaha threat on Tuesday
- Barcelona manager Xavi picks Marcus Rashford as one of the most difficult players to stop
- Man Utd suffer big blow with Lisandro Martinez requiring fresh metatarsal surgery
- Man Utd interested in Bayern Munich centre-back Matthijs de Ligt
- Alejandro Garnacho should start against Galatasaray in the Champions League
- Erik ten Hag speaks on Marcus Rashford’s form after Crystal Palace loss
- Manchester United 0-1 Crystal Palace: Player ratings as the Red Devils suffer second successive Old Trafford loss in Premier League
- Confirmed Man Utd line-up vs Crystal Palace, Hojlund starts