Manchester United have had an average start to the Premier League campaign and they are currently eight points behind leaders Tottenham Hotspur after just eight games into the season.
The Red Devils have not been helped by the long injury list, but manager Erik ten Hag will be hoping for a vast improvement when the season resumes following the international break.
The club’s main concern this term has been on the defensive side. They have already conceded 12 goals which constitutes the joint-seventh worst defensive record in the top-flight.
United have been guilty of losing cheap possession in their own half. Compared to last season, the club have won seven per cent less number of aerial duels which is a huge difference.
Looking at the positives, United have had a new emphasis on pressing compared to last season.
They are currently ranked first for high turnovers, possession won in final third and start distance in the league. Last season, they were positioned sixth, fifth and sixth respectively.
Meanwhile, the Red Devils are placed second in pressed sequences and possession won in middle third. They were ranked eighth in both during their maiden campaign under Ten Hag.
In short, United have definitely improved in one department. They have become a better pressing side under Ten Hag. Opposition defenders have been afforded with less time on the ball.
This is obviously a good thing, but it means nothing if the club can’t execute their plans over 90 minutes. United have had a bad habit of conceding goals after finding the back of the net.
The loss of concentration has been quite visible after taking the lead. United need to sort out their deficiencies quickly if they want to climb up the table and remain in the title race.
Stats from Transfermarkt.com & Sofascore.com
- Confirmed Man Utd line-up vs Bournemouth, Reguilon starts
- Erik ten Hag hails Harry Maguire for winning November Player of the Month award, joins Ferdinand and Vidic in the elite list
- Man United make ‘enquiry’ for Stuttgart striker Serhou Guirassy, available for less than €20 million
- Predicted Man Utd line-up vs Bournemouth, Reguilon starts
- Manchester United send scouts to watch Braga vs Vizela with summer target Matheus Magalhaes in action
- Picture: Man Utd defender returns to training but Lindelof out & Rashford doubtful
- Rising from the ashes – Manchester United’s spectacular November revival
- ‘An incredible, good player’: Erik ten Hag on Marcus Rashford ahead of Bournemouth game
- Borussia Dortmund want €30 million or Jadon Sancho as Manchester United eye Donyell Malen, talks scheduled for today
- Erik ten Hag turns down Manchester United players’ request for more days off after complaints over workload and scheduling