Manchester United have held initial talks with Red Bull Salzburg for highly-rated striker Benjamin Sesko, Sky Sports report.
The Red Devils are said to be eyeing a new centre-forward this summer, and they have identified Sesko as the top target.
Football director John Murtough recently made contact with his agent, and discussions have now been held with Salzburg.
Sky Sports reveal the Red Devils found a gap in valuation after the talks, and are currently deciding whether to pursue a deal.
Man Utd should pay the fee for Sesko
Sesko has made a huge impression for Salzburg since his breakthrough season last term.
The 19-year-old bagged 10 goals and seven assists from 36 appearances, and he has carried over the form this campaign.
He has two goals and one assist from three matches, and also scored the winning goal in a friendly against Liverpool.
Sesko is still inexperienced, but has caught the eye with his pace, dribbling, movement, aerial ability as well as his finishing skills.
He has the hallmarks of becoming an elite striker in future, and has the right platform to develop under manager Erik ten Hag.
The Dutch tactician has built a huge reputation of developing young talents into leading stars from his time at Ajax.
He will have plans of replicating a similar set-up at United, and Sesko would be a quality signing for long-term success.
Salzburg want to keep him for another season, but it has been recently claimed that a £45m plus bid could test their resolve.
United agreed a £54m deal to sign Anthony Martial from Monaco in 2015, and the club may need to consider a repeat.
The huge outlay should be worthwhile. If they hesitate, one of Chelsea or Newcastle United could beat them to the player.
Stats from Transfermarkt.com
- Opinion: Glazers’ £17 million Adrien Rabiot transfer disaster-class highlights everything wrong at Manchester United
- Manchester United offered a chance to sign Alvaro Morata
- Manchester United pull out of Marko Arnautovic deal
- Man Utd register interest in Cody Gakpo, player keen on transfer
- Wes Brown impressed by Lisandro Martínez’s Manchester United debut
- Rio Ferdinand urges Man Utd to re-sign Danny Welbeck as back-up striker
- Manchester United now have great chance to sign ‘incredible’ Dan-Axel Zagadou for absolutely nothing
- Man Utd can sign Sergej Milinkovic-Savic for £50m this summer
- Manchester United handed another transfer blow as Benjamin Sesko’s future is decided
- Man Utd identify Guido Rodriguez as alternative to Adrien Rabiot