Manchester United have a fresh solution for their left-back crisis following an excellent performance from Sofyan Amrabat against Crystal Palace in the Carabao Cup third round.
The Morocco international made his United debut against Burnley last weekend. He replaced Sergio Reguilon at left-back during the closing stages of the 1-0 Premier League win.
On Tuesday, the 27-year-old made his full debut from the same position. Reguilon, who was ill and possibly injured against Burnley, was not available in the matchday squad.
Amrabat looked a natural from the defensive role. He showed his class with 92 touches, completing an impressive 78 out of his 81 passes attempted – an accuracy of 96 per cent.
The summer signing delivered five long balls and won five out of his six duels contested. The Moroccan also registered two successful tackles and won three fouls from Palace.
Amrabat was substituted at the hour mark, having just returned from injury. His early substitution also suggests that he could start at left-back in the Premier League on Saturday.
Luke Shaw and Tyrell Malacia are long-term absentees at the moment while Lisandro Martinez is also unavailable after sustaining an injury in the lead-up to the Burnley game.
Erik ten Hag said that Reguilon was only ill last weekend, but the Spaniard was seen clutching on his hamstring on a couple of occasions. He may have picked up an injury too.
In our view, United could persist with Amrabat in the left-back role in the near future. They have certainly found a fresh solution for the position amid the untimely injury blows.
The Red Devils are set to host Palace again in the Premier League this weekend. There should be multiple changes for both teams. United will be eyeing a third-straight victory.
Amrabat, who was described as a ‘world-class‘ player by Morocco head coach Walid Regragui at the World Cup, looks set to make his home Premier League debut for United.
Stats from Transfermarkt.com & Sofascore.com
- Erik ten Hag must pair Sofyan Amrabat with Kobbie Mainoo in midfield vs Bayern
- ‘3-0 looks like a good result’: Gary Neville reacts after Man Utd’s loss to Bournemouth
- Manchester United eyeing RB Leipzig forward Lois Openda ahead of January transfer window
- Erik ten Hag must start Raphael Varane in must-win UCL game vs Bayern
- Manchester United monitoring Manchester City midfielder Kalvin Phillips ahead of potential move, Erik ten Hag a huge fan
- Confirmed Man Utd line-up vs Bournemouth, Reguilon starts
- Erik ten Hag hails Harry Maguire for winning November Player of the Month award, joins Ferdinand and Vidic in the elite list
- Man United make ‘enquiry’ for Stuttgart striker Serhou Guirassy, available for less than €20 million
- Predicted Man Utd line-up vs Bournemouth, Reguilon starts
- Manchester United send scouts to watch Braga vs Vizela with summer target Matheus Magalhaes in action