Manchester United have already expressed an interest in signing Benfica wonderkid Joao Neves, according to Portuguese publication A Bola.
The 19-year-old is currently one of the best young defensive midfielders in European football and there are no surprises that he is garnering attention.
United are one of his admirers and A Bola report that the club have already made a move to show that they are interested in landing his signature.
Meanwhile, a separate report from O Jogo claim that Benfica are not in a rush to part ways with Neves and wish to keep him in the squad until 2025.
Neves currently has a release clause worth €120 million in his contract. United may need to activate the clause if they want to sign him next summer.
Neves could develop into a world-class midfielder
The Portugal international has the ability to play in central or holding midfield, but he is most comfortable from the number six position.
This season, he has completed 52 passes per game with an accuracy of 92 per cent. He has won 1.5 tackles and 4.4 duels per outing.
At just 19, he has shown a lot of maturity on the playing field and he should only get better with more first-team experience under his belt.
United could consider him as a long-term replacement for Casemiro, who has shown signs of regression during the early part of the season.
The Brazilian has been guilty of losing possession and has been outrun by opposition midfielders. He was recently subbed at half-time versus Brentford.
If United want to sign Neves next summer, they may need to break their transfer record as Benfica could be reluctant to negotiate on the price.
Stats from Transfermarkt.com
- Valencia and Real Sociedad eyeing potential summer move for Manchester United forward Mason Greenwood
- Erik ten Hag confirms Rasmus Hojlund and Antony are available for selection vs Galatasaray
- Man United handed huge injury boost as Rasmus Hojlund and Antony return to training
- Newcastle United’s home prowess set to test Manchester United’s resurgence
- Man Utd in the front line to sign Joao Neves but Benfica aim to increase release clause
- Preview: Galatasaray vs Manchester United – prediction, team news, line-ups
- Sofyan Amrabat’s future at United no longer obvious with Kobbie Mainoo’s emergence
- Man United interested in Leipzig striker Timo Werner
- Stats show Harry Maguire has fared better than Arsenal star William Saliba in defensive actions
- Gareth Southgate to hold talks with Kobbie Mainoo as he is desperate to see him pledge his international future to England