Manchester United could have an excellent opportunity to sign long-term target Sergej Milinkovic-Savic, based on today’s edition of Il Tempo (Page 29).
The Serbian is widely regarded as one of the best box-to-box midfielders in European football, proving his credentials with regular goal contributions in Serie A.
The 26-year-old has been a key player for Lazio over the past six-and-a-half years but could be on the move this summer with his desire to pursue a bigger challenge elsewhere.
Lazio reportedly have an ‘unwritten agreement with his agent’ which would allow the midfielder to leave ‘if an offer from a top club’ arrives during the next transfer window.
However, he won’t be prised away easily. Milinkovic-Savic has a contract until June 2024.
Lazio will demand a ‘hefty’ fee of not less than €70 million (£59m) to part ways with his services.
United could have a busy summer ahead with a midfield rebuild on the cards. They are eyeing a new defensive midfielder and the onus appears on pursuing a Premier League-based star.
They could also enter the market for a creative central midfielder if Paul Pogba leaves for free. The Frenchman has five months left on his deal, and there has been no progress over a renewal.
It appears likely that he could be heading for the exit door. Milinkovic-Savic could be seen as a quality replacement for the World Cup winner with his excellent all-round attributes.
The Serbian is two years younger than the Frenchman and has fared better defensively with an average of nearly two tackles and three aerial duels won per league game this season.
Milinkovic-Savic also has the gifted the ability of finding the back of the net with his regular forward runs. He has bagged eight goals and eight assists from 23 league matches.
The United hierarchy have tried to haggle over price tags in the past but may need to meet Lazio’s asking price for the midfielder amid stiff competition from Real Madrid and Juventus.
Stats from Transfermarkt.com and WhoScored.com.
- Man Utd agree fee with Barcelona for Frenkie de Jong
- Erik ten Hag could hand first-team chance to James Garner
- 3 possible Frenkie de Jong alternatives Man Utd should pursue
- Man Utd have strongest interest in signing Frenkie de Jong
- Man Utd identify two goalkeepers to replace Dean Henderson
- Man Utd make initial contact for RB Leipzig star Nordi Mukiele
- Man Utd to face Atletico Madrid in fifth pre-season friendly
- Man Utd could make official bid for Christopher Nkunku next week
- Man Utd best placed to sign Pau Torres
- Man Utd target Tyrell Malacia impresses against Roma in UECL final