Manchester United have a crazy idea of signing Sevilla goalkeeper Yassine Bounou as a deputy to Andre Onana, according to TuttoMercatoWeb.
The Red Devils confirmed the arrival of Onana from Inter Milan earlier today. The Cameroonian star is expected to be an undisputed starter under manager Erik ten Hag.
United could now spend on a back-up keeper with Dean Henderson likely to leave, and TuttoMercatoWeb claim that the club are eyeing an ambitious move for Bounou.
A deal is currently ‘difficult’ to pull off as the Moroccan may not want to play second fiddle to Onana, but the Italian outlet insist that it is ‘not impossible’ to persuade him over a transfer.
United unlikely to land Bounou this summer
The 32-year-old has been a key player for Sevilla, but he lost his place to Marko Dmitrovic during the back end of the 2022/23 league season under manager Jose Mendilibar.
However, he remained a regular starter in the Europa League and made the difference in the final, saving two penalties in the shoot-out victory over Roma.
Bounou is now eyeing a club where he can play regularly. Sevilla, who are facing financial issues, are prepared to sell him for a fee of around €20 million.
The Moroccan would be a superb signing for the back-up role behind Onana but in our opinion, it is highly unlikely that United will spend €20m on him.
Bounou is still in the prime of his goalkeeping career, and he may also prefer another team where he has assured playing time throughout the season.
Hence, we simply don’t see a deal happening. The speculation is probably agent-driven. United’s name is being used to attract bids for the shot-stopper.
Stats from Transfermarkt.com
- Man Utd suffer big blow with Lisandro Martinez requiring fresh metatarsal surgery
- Man Utd interested in Bayern Munich centre-back Matthijs de Ligt
- Alejandro Garnacho should start against Galatasaray in the Champions League
- Erik ten Hag speaks on Marcus Rashford’s form after Crystal Palace loss
- Manchester United 0-1 Crystal Palace: Player ratings as the Red Devils suffer second successive Old Trafford loss in Premier League
- Confirmed Man Utd line-up vs Crystal Palace, Hojlund starts
- Lisandro Martinez may require second foot surgery, could be out until December
- Antony pictured arriving at Carrington after Man United approved return
- Erik ten Hag reacts to Hannibal Mejbri’s breakthrough at Man Utd
- Predicted Man Utd line-up vs Crystal Palace, Hojlund returns