Manchester United have a concrete interest in signing Bayern Munich striker Eric Maxim Choupo-Moting, according to reputed journalist Florian Plettenberg.
The Red Devils are on the search for a new centre-forward this month and manager Erik ten Hag has confirmed the same in multiple press conferences.
Choupo-Moting is one of the players that has been linked and Plettenberg now claims that United have a ‘concrete interest’ in signing the Cameroonian star.
However, it is unclear whether the 33-year-old will be available this month. Choupo-Moting has entered the last six months of his deal and Bayern are focused on extending his stay.
Man Utd unlikely to land Choupo-Moting this month
Choupo-Moting has been superb for Bayern after Robert Lewandowski’s exit last summer. He has bagged 11 goals and three assists from just 16 appearances.
He is enjoying the best scoring spell of his playing career and it would come as a surprise if the German champions are prepared to sanction his sale this month.
The Bundesliga outfit currently have several goalscorers in the squad, but Choupo-Moting is their only genuine striker that can offer a physical presence in the box.
In our opinion, Bayern could hold out for an exorbitant fee of €15-20 million to sell him. It is unlikely that United will pay such an amount in the current transfer window.
United are said to be eyeing a low-cost option, potentially on loan. This is a key reason why they have been put off from signing Joao Felix from Atletico Madrid.
Aside from Choupo-Moting, the club have recently been linked with a shock loan move for Al-Nassr striker Vincent Aboubakar, who had an impressive World Cup.
Stats from Transfermarkt.com
- Man Utd have received 10 loan proposals for Anthony Elanga ahead of transfer deadline
- Victor Lindelof emerges as Inter Milan transfer target to replace outgoing star
- Crystal Palace will wait until summer to sign Man Utd defender Aaron Wan-Bissaka
- Man United boss insists there is still room for improvement from Antony after Reading display
- Erik ten Hag confirms ankle injury blow for Christian Eriksen after Reading win
- Casemiro excellent for Man Utd in 3-1 FA Cup fourth round win over Reading
- Harry Maguire sends a tough message to Erik ten Hag over the lack of game-time
- Manchester United 3-1 Reading: Three talking points as Casemiro electrifies Old Trafford crowd
- Man Utd tried to sign Milan Skriniar, he is holding out for PSG transfer
- Erik ten Hag gives advice to Garnacho and Pellistri on Manchester United opportunities