Manchester United have renewed their interest in signing Juventus midfielder Adrien Rabiot whose contract expires at the end of the month, according to Corriere dello Sport (page 11).
The Red Devils were heavily interested in signing the Frenchman last summer. An initial £15 million fee was finalised with Juventus, but they could not agree personal terms with the midfielder.
Rabiot has since had a superb season with Juventus. He has registered 11 goals and six assists from 47 games. The 28-year-old was also part of the French squad that reached the World Cup final.
It is now reported that United have ‘come back strong’ for Rabiot, who will be a free-agent next month.
However, they are not alone in the pursuit. Newcastle United also ‘hope’ to sign him. Thomas Tuchel’s Bayern Munich are likewise ‘pushing’ to land his signature on a Bosman transfer.
United could return for Rabiot if they can’t land Mason Mount
Mason Mount is currently the priority target for manager Erik ten Hag. Personal terms have been agreed but United still need to finalise a transfer fee with Chelsea for the 24-year-old.
There is presently a significant difference of £30m in the valuation between the clubs, but an agreement could be reached soon, considering Mount is entering the final year of his contract.
In case there is a breakdown in negotiations, Rabiot could be the fallback option for United. The Frenchman has vastly improved his performances compared to the 2021/22 season.
He has 17 goal contributions for the Bianconeri and has also impressed defensively, winning two tackles and nearly six duels per appearance. Rabiot is enjoying the best phase of his career.
On a free transfer, he would be a no-brainer signing, but personal terms could be an issue again. United refused to meet his £160,000-a-week demands during last summer’s transfer window.
Rabiot may want a much higher salary this time around. As he will be a free-agent next month, he could easily demand £200,000 weekly on top of a sizeable signing-on fee to join United.
Stats from Transfermarkt.com & Sofascore.com
- Man Utd suffer big blow with Lisandro Martinez requiring fresh metatarsal surgery
- Man Utd interested in Bayern Munich centre-back Matthijs de Ligt
- Alejandro Garnacho should start against Galatasaray in the Champions League
- Erik ten Hag speaks on Marcus Rashford’s form after Crystal Palace loss
- Manchester United 0-1 Crystal Palace: Player ratings as the Red Devils suffer second successive Old Trafford loss in Premier League
- Confirmed Man Utd line-up vs Crystal Palace, Hojlund starts
- Lisandro Martinez may require second foot surgery, could be out until December
- Antony pictured arriving at Carrington after Man United approved return
- Erik ten Hag reacts to Hannibal Mejbri’s breakthrough at Man Utd
- Predicted Man Utd line-up vs Crystal Palace, Hojlund returns