Manchester United have been handed a clear path to sign Inter Milan defender Denzel Dumfries this summer, according to Corriere dello Sport (page 20).
The Red Devils have been long linked with a move for Dumfries and it appears the Netherlands star could leave the Nerazzurri at the end of the current campaign.
He has recently lost his starting role at right wing-back to Matteo Darmian. The Serie A giants have also signed Tajon Buchanan this month to add competition for places.
Corriere dello Sport now claim that United and Bayern Munich are admirers of Dumfries, but the latter are currently on the cusp of landing Sacha Boey from Galatasaray.
This has reportedly put United in pole position for Dumfries, but Inter are hopeful that the Dutchman will end the season on a high to raise his valuation and suitors.
The Nerazzurri were initially eyeing a new deal for the defender, but that seems unlikely to happen, having refused to meet his €5 million per year salary demands.
Dumfries could replace Aaron Wan-Bissaka at United
Aaron Wan-Bissaka has been in a contract stand-off with the Red Devils. The club recently made the decision to trigger an extension clause to prolong his deal until June 2025.
If there is no progress over a renewal by the summer, the hierarchy could contemplate his departure. He could be offered as a makeweight to land Crystal Palace’s Michael Olise.
Wan-Bissaka’s exit could coincide with Dumfries’ move to Old Trafford. Erik ten Hag should know about the defender’s attributes, having previously watched him playing for PSV as Ajax manager.
Dumfries was a traditional right-back in the Netherlands, but he has played as a right wing-back for Inter. This could be a good thing for United as Ten Hag likes overlapping full-backs.
Diogo Dalot has tried to fit into the manager’s plans with his attacking attributes, but Dumfries would be an upgrade as he has a better physique and pace to get behind defenders.
The €30 million-rated star also makes more goal contributions. He has two goals and four assists from 18 games for Inter this term compared to Dalot’s two goals and an assist from 28 outings.
Dumfries would be a strong competitor to Dalot for the right-back spot next season.
Stats from Transfermarkt.com
- Confirmed Man Utd line-up vs Nottingham Forest, Antony starts
- Former Manchester United ace John O’Shea assumes interim charge of Ireland
- Manchester United are keen on signing Ajax goalkeeper Diant Ramaj
- Man Utd are possible destination for Atalanta star Giorgio Scalvini
- Manchester United youngster Ethan Williams set to sign new contract
- Manchester United: Sao Paulo make stance clear on Casemiro transfer
- Mason Greenwood harbours no great desire to play for Manchester United again
- Man Utd join Arsenal in race to sign Besiktas wonderkid Semih Kilicsoy
- Predicted Man Utd line-up vs Nottingham Forest, Kambwala starts
- ‘He’s unstoppable’: Erik ten Hag defends Man Utd winger Antony