Manchester United have the chance to sign Isco on a free transfer as they look for a possible replacement for the injured Christian Eriksen.
Eriksen has been a crucial player in midfield for United since his arrival last summer, but he could be sidelined for a while after suffering an ankle injury.
The Dane was the subject of a strong challenge from Reading’s Andy Carroll on Saturday, and things are not looking good at the current point of time.
The 30-year-old was spotted leaving Old Trafford on ‘crutches‘ and the Red Devils could be without him for several weeks in the worse case scenario.
This could force the club to pursue a replacement in the transfer market and the onus could be on a low-cost signing with the owners reluctant to spend.
Leicester City’s Youri Tielemans and Eintracht Frankfurt’s Daichi Kamada are options that United could consider. They are in the final six months of their deals.
However, the most enticing prospect could be to sign Isco, who is available on a free transfer after terminating his contract with Sevilla in late December.
Isco, who is a five-time Champions League winner with Real Madrid, made the switch to Seville for free last summer and was heavily involved before the World Cup.
He made four goal contributions in 19 outings for Sevilla, but was surprisingly released by mutual agreement last month. His low salary has been highlighted as a reason.
The 30-year-old is still searching for a new club and in our opinion, it won’t come as a surprise if United make a contract offer to him amid Eriksen’s injury fears.
Isco can play anywhere in attack or midfield. His versatility would make him a suitable signing for manager Erik ten Hag, who could use him in rotation.
Ten Hag has already shown that he values experience in his line-up. Isco would be another shrewd signing, provided he accepts a reasonable wage package.
United may have to be quick in Isco’s pursuit, considering Bundesliga duo Union Berlin and RB Leipzig are now seriously looking at the prospect of signing him.
Stats from Transfermarkt.com
- Elliott Investment Management submits offer for Man United minority stake
- Man Utd continuing attempts to agree new contracts with De Gea and Rashford
- Man Utd and Chelsea vying to sign Inter Milan goalkeeper Andre Onana
- With Paul Mitchell set to leave Monaco, Man Utd must beat Liverpool and sign him
- Cristiano Ronaldo opens up on his controversial Manchester United exit for the first time
- Tottenham Hotspur’s interest in Man United goalkeeper Dean Henderson could open talks for Harry Kane deal
- Manchester United in advanced talks to sign Watford left-back Harry Amass
- Man Utd star Christian Eriksen provides huge injury update on Instagram
- Behind only Arsenal, Man Utd have been fined six-figure sum for referee abuse
- Man Utd target Diogo Costa could be sold as Porto require €50m to balance their books