Manchester United have asked about the possibility of signing Bologna striker Joshua Zirkzee this month, according to journalist Florian Plettenberg.
The Red Devils have been linked with the Dutch ace over the past few weeks and Plettenberg has now revealed that the club have made an inquiry for him.
The hierarchy have high opinion of his quality and development. ‘Talks took place’ with Bologna, but they have no plans to sell their prized asset this month.
The former Bayern Munich man is likely to leave in the summer as there is a release clause worth €40 million in his contract with the Serie A outfit.
Zirkzee could be an ideal competitor for Hojlund
United are bound to sign a new striker this year. Anthony Martial’s contract expires at the end of the season and they have decided against triggering his extension clause.
The Frenchman is set to end his nine-year association with the club this summer. Zirkzee has been identified as his successor and could provide competition to Rasmus Hojlund.
Hojlund has been an undisputed starter in his debut season. He has started to find his feet in the Premier League with three goal contributions in his last two appearances.
The Dane should only get better with his huge potential, but having another quality striker would benefit United. It will ensure that Hojlund can’t take his place for granted.
Zirkzee has 12 goal involvements in 22 appearances this campaign. The 6ft 3in striker possesses good hold-up play, likes to dribble and can contribute key passes too.
The Dutchman could not succeed at Bayern due to the presence of Robert Lewandowski, but he is certainly prospering at Bologna and looks set for a bigger move.
Stats from Transfermarkt.com
- Erik ten Hag sends clear warning to Antony with last-gasp substitution vs Fulham
- Antonio Valencia slams Manchester United’s performance against Fulham
- Sir Jim Ratcliffe wants to sign Luton Town’s Ross Barkley to replace Casemiro
- Maguire impresses in Manchester United’s disappointing 2-1 defeat against Fulham
- Bruno Fernandes must step up for Man Utd in Champions League pursuit
- Andre Onana impresses for Man Utd in disappointing Fulham defeat
- Confirmed Man Utd line-up vs Fulham, Forson starts
- Predicted Man Utd line-up vs Fulham, Forson starts up front
- Omari Forson set for full Premier League debut after Rasmus Hojlund injury blow
- Man Utd without seven players for Fulham game after fresh injury blow