Manchester United have already asked for information on Bologna striker Joshua Zirkzee ahead of a potential move during the summer transfer window, according to Calciomercato.
The Dutchman has had a fine second campaign with the Serie A outfit, scoring nine goals and providing six assists from 24 appearances across all competitions.
AC Milan are hot on the trail of him ahead of the summer while there is also interest from the likes of Napoli and Juventus. However, United have also made contact for Zirkzee
Bayern Munich currently have a buy-back clause worth €40 million for the 22-year-old and it is claimed that it will cost higher than that for other clubs to sign him.
Zirkzee could be an ideal deputy/competitor to Rasmus Hojlund
Hojlund had a difficult start to his Premier League career after his move from Atalanta, but he has found his feet recently with four goals in his last four top-flight games.
The Dane has started to realise his immense potential. He has already netted 10 goals in all competitions and could easily achieve a tally of 20 goals by the end of May.
Despite this, manager Erik ten Hag will want a quality deputy and competitor for Hojlund. Anthony Martial is no longer a solution amid his persistent injury issues.
The Frenchman looks set to leave on a free transfer when his contract expires on June 30.
Zirkzee could be the perfect signing for the role. He is an all-round striker who is good with the ball at his feet, likes to hold-up play and can dribble past opponents.
Like Hojlund, he has started to meet expectations with 15 goal contributions this term. He won’t come on the cheap, however, with Bologna eyeing around €50m.
Calciomercato don’t mention interest from any other club abroad, but it has been known for some time that Premier League rivals Arsenal are also keen on his services.
Hence, it won’t be a straightforward deal for United. They need to be pro-active and must find a verbal agreement with the striker to gain an advantage in the pursuit.
Stats from Transfermarkt.com
- Wayne Rooney says senior Man Utd players need to get Marcus Rashford fired up
- Amad Diallo reacts to Sofyan Amrabat’s performance as Manchester United book spot in FA Cup quarter-finals
- Alan Shearer reacts to Antony’s performance vs Nottingham Forest
- Diogo Dalot impresses for Man Utd in FA Cup win at Nottingham Forest
- Man United player ratings vs Nottingham Forest: Casemiro keeps silverware hopes alive for the Red Devils
- Confirmed Man Utd line-up vs Nottingham Forest, Antony starts
- Former Manchester United ace John O’Shea assumes interim charge of Ireland
- Manchester United are keen on signing Ajax goalkeeper Diant Ramaj
- Man Utd are possible destination for Atalanta star Giorgio Scalvini
- Manchester United youngster Ethan Williams set to sign new contract