Manchester United have been handed a timely boost for their Premier League clash against Newcastle United with Luke Shaw likely to return early from England duty.
The left-back was in-and-out of the starting line-up at the start of the season amid competition from Tyrell Malacia. However, he has since established himself as the first-choice under manager Erik ten Hag.
Shaw has been one of the most active United stars with 35 appearances this term and he appears set to get a much-needed break this week after his sending off against Italy.
The 27-year-old received two yellow cards in quick succession in England’s 2-1 win last night and as a result, he will play no part in the Euro 2024 qualifier versus Ukraine.
The Three Lions have not made any official announcement, but the £31 million-rated star is likely to return to Carrington early in preparation for the league trip to St James’ Park.
United have had a good transformative season under Ten Hag, but they still have a lot of work to do in order to qualify for the Champions League via a top-four league finish.
At present, they are placed third with 50 points, one ahead of Tottenham with two games in hand. Meanwhile, Newcastle are three points behind, having played an equal number of matches.
Hence, the Champions League push could go down to the wire and United must secure a positive result on April 2 to give themselves some breathing space in the coming weeks.
Marcus Rashford has already been given a breather after withdrawing from the England squad with a knock and Shaw looks set for the same after receiving his marching orders in Naples.
Stats from Transfermarkt.com
- Kim Min-jae remains Man Utd’s top centre-back target, verbal offer already made
- Manchester United goalkeeper David De Gea ready to snub Saudi Pro League offer for Old Trafford stay
- Man Utd target Benjamin Pavard allowed to leave Bayern immediately, price tag revealed
- AS Monaco centre-back Axel Disasi one step away from joining Manchester United
- Manchester United want €20m for Anthony Elanga as RB Leipzig open talks
- Tottenham and West Ham offered chance to sign Man Utd captain Harry Maguire
- Sheikh Jassim submits fifth bid for Manchester United
- Man United monitoring Ligue 1 if they fail to land Min-jae with Maguire due to discuss his future with Ten Hag next week
- ‘Very soon’: Man Utd could move forward with bid for Porto goalkeeper Diogo Costa
- Napoli star Kim Min-jae already home with suitcases ‘ready to go to Man Utd’