Manchester United have been handed a major boost for the Carabao Cup final next weekend with Newcastle United goalkeeping duo Nick Pope and Martin Dubravka unavailable for selection.
The Magpies have had one of the best defences in Europe this season, but they are set to miss the services of Pope for the League Cup final after his sending off against Liverpool today.
Pope was given his marching orders for handling the ball outside of the box and his three-game ban will rule him out of the Wembley showdown against United at the end of the month.
Aside from Pope, the Tyneside outfit will also be without back-up goalkeeper Dubravka, who is Cup-tied for the final after featuring for United in the third and fourth rounds of the competition.
With Karl Darlow away on a short-term loan at Hull City, it looks likely that former Liverpool shot-stopper Loris Karius will be between the sticks for the Magpies in the Carabao Cup final.
The German has not played for a Premier League outfit since his forgettable night for Liverpool against Real Madrid in the 2018 Champions League final where he made two blunders.
Karius has had no first-team action since joining the Magpies last summer and in our opinion, United have already been handed a major boost for the Cup final in just over a week.
Pope has been hugely influential in the Magpies’ top-four push this season and without him, the Red Devils should greatly fancy their chances of winning their first trophy in six years.
Stats from Transfermarkt.com
- Elliott Investment Management submits offer for Man United minority stake
- Man Utd continuing attempts to agree new contracts with De Gea and Rashford
- Man Utd and Chelsea vying to sign Inter Milan goalkeeper Andre Onana
- With Paul Mitchell set to leave Monaco, Man Utd must beat Liverpool and sign him
- Cristiano Ronaldo opens up on his controversial Manchester United exit for the first time
- Tottenham Hotspur’s interest in Man United goalkeeper Dean Henderson could open talks for Harry Kane deal
- Manchester United in advanced talks to sign Watford left-back Harry Amass
- Man Utd star Christian Eriksen provides huge injury update on Instagram
- Behind only Arsenal, Man Utd have been fined six-figure sum for referee abuse
- Man Utd target Diogo Costa could be sold as Porto require €50m to balance their books