Manchester United have been handed a fresh blow with Antony absent from training ahead of Thursday’s Europa League clash against Real Betis on the road.
The Red Devils recently played out a frustrating goalless draw against Southampton in the Premier League. The game was influenced by dubious refereeing decisions.
While Casemiro was harshly sent off in the opening half, United should have had a couple of penalties.
The club now need to refocus for the second leg of their Europa League round of 16 tie and ahead of the game, they look set to be without the services of Antony.
Earlier today, Marcel Sabitzer was spotted back in training after an undefined injury but Antony was nowhere to be seen. He could be injured or out with an illness.
United boss Erik ten Hag should provide an update in this evening’s press conference, but it is likely that the £66 million-rated star won’t be part of the matchday squad.
The Red Devils are already without Alejandro Garnacho, Christian Eriksen and Donny van de Beek for the game with injuries. The former is out for a number of weeks.
Pellistri could make his first Manchester United start
Antony’s absence could pave the way for Pellistri to make his first United start. The Uruguayan has made six appearances this year, but all of them have come off the bench.
The 21-year-old has been lively in each of those games. His clever pass into the box indirectly contributed to United’s final goal in the 4-1 win over Betis at Old Trafford.
With the club carrying a resounding three-goal lead to Seville, Ten Hag could finally be tempted to start Pellistri on the right wing with Antony likely to be sidelined.
Meanwhile, the manager has a big decision to make over Casemiro. The Brazilian is suspended for the next four domestic games and will most likely start tomorrow.
However, he is just one yellow card away from being suspended for the first leg of the quarter-final. The booking history will be wiped only after the last 16 second leg.
Stats from Transfermarkt.com
- Elliott Investment Management submits offer for Man United minority stake
- Man Utd continuing attempts to agree new contracts with De Gea and Rashford
- Man Utd and Chelsea vying to sign Inter Milan goalkeeper Andre Onana
- With Paul Mitchell set to leave Monaco, Man Utd must beat Liverpool and sign him
- Cristiano Ronaldo opens up on his controversial Manchester United exit for the first time
- Tottenham Hotspur’s interest in Man United goalkeeper Dean Henderson could open talks for Harry Kane deal
- Manchester United in advanced talks to sign Watford left-back Harry Amass
- Man Utd star Christian Eriksen provides huge injury update on Instagram
- Behind only Arsenal, Man Utd have been fined six-figure sum for referee abuse
- Man Utd target Diogo Costa could be sold as Porto require €50m to balance their books