Manchester United have been handed a double player boost with Raphael Varane and Edinson Cavani included in the travelling squad to face Newcastle United tonight, Manchester Evening News reports.
The Red Devils are set to return to action after an extended two-week gap following a coronavirus outbreak within the squad. The interval probably came at the right time for two players.
Varane was close to making his comeback after a hamstring injury. The Frenchman has been involved in recent training sessions and could return to the starting line-up against the Magpies.
Cavani’s availability is also a big boost. The Uruguay international has not played for the Red Devils since aggravating a tendon injury before the November international break.
There is speculation over his future ahead of the New Year, but the 34-year-old will be determined to make his mark tonight if he is handed an opportunity to impress by manager Ralf Rangnick.
The Red Devils are currently eight points adrift of Arsenal, who are occupying the final Champions League spot. However, they can leapfrog them with three games in hand at the moment.
On paper, United should comfortably win each of those games, but they have made things tough for themselves lately. It was far from an impressive display against Norwich City earlier this month.
Rangnick has brought more intensity from the squad since his arrival with his high pressing style.
United need to make a quick start off the blocks against the Magpies to find an early goal.
Aside from Varane and Cavani, Anthony Martial has also travelled with the team after recovering from a knee injury.
- Man Utd suffer transfer blow with Fabian Ruiz set to join PSG
- Man Utd make opening bid for Marko Arnautovic
- Manchester United 1-2 Brighton & Hove Albion: Three talking points as Erik ten Hag suffers defeat in Premier League debut
- Player Ratings: Manchester United 1-2 Brighton & Hove Albion
- Harry Maguire insists that players will fight for the badge
- Erik ten Hag identifies Fabian Ruiz as the perfect Frenkie de Jong alternative for Manchester United
- Predicted Man Utd line-up vs Brighton – Three debutants, Ronaldo starts
- Opinion: Manchester United should forget Frenkie de Jong and sign these two unbelievable players for price of one
- Report: ‘Dazzling’ Benjamin Sesko knows Manchester United want him but PSG blow is last thing Erik ten Hag needs
- Erik ten Hag wants Cody Gakpo at Manchester United