Manchester United have been handed a double player boost with Raphael Varane and Edinson Cavani included in the travelling squad to face Newcastle United tonight, Manchester Evening News reports.
The Red Devils are set to return to action after an extended two-week gap following a coronavirus outbreak within the squad. The interval probably came at the right time for two players.
Varane was close to making his comeback after a hamstring injury. The Frenchman has been involved in recent training sessions and could return to the starting line-up against the Magpies.
Cavani’s availability is also a big boost. The Uruguay international has not played for the Red Devils since aggravating a tendon injury before the November international break.
There is speculation over his future ahead of the New Year, but the 34-year-old will be determined to make his mark tonight if he is handed an opportunity to impress by manager Ralf Rangnick.
The Red Devils are currently eight points adrift of Arsenal, who are occupying the final Champions League spot. However, they can leapfrog them with three games in hand at the moment.
On paper, United should comfortably win each of those games, but they have made things tough for themselves lately. It was far from an impressive display against Norwich City earlier this month.
Rangnick has brought more intensity from the squad since his arrival with his high pressing style.
United need to make a quick start off the blocks against the Magpies to find an early goal.
Aside from Varane and Cavani, Anthony Martial has also travelled with the team after recovering from a knee injury.
- Ralf Rangnick confirms two Man Utd starters vs West Ham United
- Manchester United vs West Ham United: Premier League Preview, H2H & Predicted Line-ups
- Barcelona attacker Ousmane Dembele tempted by Man Utd move
- Will Jesse Lingard move to Newcastle or Tottenham this transfer window?
- Man Utd cool down interest in Denis Zakaria
- Man Utd may not approve Ralf Rangnick’s wish to sign Amadou Haidara
- Juventus in direct contact with Man Utd over Anthony Martial loan deal
- Man Utd receive Martial-Dembele swap proposal from Barcelona
- Predicted Man Utd line-up (4-2-3-1) vs Brentford
- Ralf Rangnick provides injury update on three Man Utd stars