Manchester United have been handed a double injury boost ahead of the Premier League clash at Leeds United on Sunday, Manchester Evening News reports.
The Red Devils recently returned to winning ways with a 2-0 victory over Brighton & Hove Albion at home, but it was a frustrating display with multiple scoring chances missed.
They were dominated for most of the opening half. A sheer moment of brilliance from Cristiano Ronaldo in the 51st minute put them ahead.
Brighton went down to 10 men shortly after, but it took United until the dying seconds of stoppage time to double their advantage.
There was some good fortune for the Red Devils, considering Brighton came on the cusp of equalising on a couple of occasions.
Ahead of the Leeds trip, there has been a timely injury boost with the availability of Raphael Varane and Edinson Cavani.
Varane was named in the starting line-up to face Brighton, but pulled out during the warm-up as he was struggling with a stomach bug.
Victor Lindelof produced a solid performance in his absence, but it was not flawless as Brighton had two solid scoring opportunities.
David de Gea’s acrobatic save in the opening half denied Jakub Moder while Danny Welbeck squandered a wonderful headed chance.
It could be a straightforward decision for interim boss Ralf Rangnick with Varane returning to the line-up in place of Lindelof.
Meanwhile, the return of Cavani from a groin injury should please Rangnick, who has been reliant on Ronaldo up front with no solid back-up.
Ronaldo had a superb outing against Brighton in midweek. He could have scored a hat-trick alongside two assists on any other day.
It can’t be ignored that the Portuguese is already 37-years-old and may need to be handled cautiously to avoid any potential injury concerns.
Cavani also has a strong presence in the air, and his return should offer Rangnick the ability to replace Ronaldo late in the game.
Stats from Transfermarkt.com.
- Man Utd agree fee with Barcelona for Frenkie de Jong
- Erik ten Hag could hand first-team chance to James Garner
- 3 possible Frenkie de Jong alternatives Man Utd should pursue
- Man Utd have strongest interest in signing Frenkie de Jong
- Man Utd identify two goalkeepers to replace Dean Henderson
- Man Utd make initial contact for RB Leipzig star Nordi Mukiele
- Man Utd to face Atletico Madrid in fifth pre-season friendly
- Man Utd could make official bid for Christopher Nkunku next week
- Man Utd best placed to sign Pau Torres
- Man Utd target Tyrell Malacia impresses against Roma in UECL final