Manchester United have been handed a big boost in signing Cody Gakpo following PSV Eindhoven’s failure to qualify for the Champions League proper.
The Dutch outfit were tied at 2-2 with Rangers after the first leg of their play-off in Glasgow and they needed to come on top yesterday to make the group stage.
However, they were unable to do so. Rangers proved the better side over the course of 90 minutes in Eindhoven, registering a slender 1-0 victory.
With the setback, PSV will be playing in the Europa League this campaign, and this is a definite boost for United, who are aiming to prise away Gakpo.
Earlier this week, it was revealed that PSV may attempt to keep Gakpo for another campaign if they were to qualify for Europe’s elite club competition.
With that not being the case anymore, the 23-year-old could be tempted to move on and United definitely seem to be in pole position to sign him.
Gakpo has already given the green light to work with manager Erik ten Hag at United, and the club are likely to make a formal approach for him in the coming days.
PSV are said to demand €50 million, but the Red Devils will now be aiming to sign the forward for less following his club’s failure to secure Champions League football.
Gakpo had a stunning 2021/22 season with PSV, registering 36 goal contributions. He has replicated the form this term with another seven goal involvements for them.
He will face a stiffer challenge with the switch to the Premier League, but has the attributes that would suit the attacking brand of football under Ten Hag.
The Netherlands international has good pace, excellent dribbling skills and can make key passes. He also has a good eye for goal and can play in multiple roles.
Gakpo has predominantly operated from the left flank for PSV, but he is also capable of leading the line.
The Dutchman has bagged eight goals and two assists from just 18 appearances as a centre-forward, and he could transformed into a genuine striker in future.
With just a week before the English transfer deadline, we could see United make a serious attempt to sign Gakpo regardless of the pursuit of Ajax’s Antony.
The club are aiming to sign both players before the transfer window closes on September 1.
Stats from Transfermarkt.com
- Man Utd have received 10 loan proposals for Anthony Elanga ahead of transfer deadline
- Victor Lindelof emerges as Inter Milan transfer target to replace outgoing star
- Crystal Palace will wait until summer to sign Man Utd defender Aaron Wan-Bissaka
- Man United boss insists there is still room for improvement from Antony after Reading display
- Erik ten Hag confirms ankle injury blow for Christian Eriksen after Reading win
- Casemiro excellent for Man Utd in 3-1 FA Cup fourth round win over Reading
- Harry Maguire sends a tough message to Erik ten Hag over the lack of game-time
- Manchester United 3-1 Reading: Three talking points as Casemiro electrifies Old Trafford crowd
- Man Utd tried to sign Milan Skriniar, he is holding out for PSG transfer
- Erik ten Hag gives advice to Garnacho and Pellistri on Manchester United opportunities