Manchester United have the opportunity to sign right-back Jeremie Frimpong this summer with Bayer Leverkusen planning a mega upheaval of the squad, according to Bild.
The Red Devils have been heavily linked with the Dutchman this campaign and there were suggestions that they would make an approach to sign him in the January transfer window.
This did not happen due to limited funds but the club could revisit their interest in the summer with Leverkusen willing to part ways with multiple players to recoup funds.
The Bundesliga outfit have had a ‘crisis season’ in the German top-flight and they are currently lying 10th in the standings, 12 points adrift of the Champions League places.
Meanwhile, Leverkusen are 10 points behind the final European spot, occupied by SC Freiburg. It seems likely that they may not be playing European football next season.
Hence, the club are planning an overhaul of the squad with Frimpong, Piero Hincapie and Moussa Diaby touted to leave. They are eyeing at least €100 million from the trio’s exit.
Frimpong could replace Aaron Wan-Bissaka
The 22-year-old has had a hugely impressive season with Leverkusen. He has registered five goals and three assists from 25 appearances across all competitions.
The Dutchman likes to dribble and make regular overlapping runs, but has also excelled defensively. He has won a stunning six duels per game alongside 1.7 tackles.
In our opinion, United could see him as an upgrade on Wan-Bissaka despite his recent resurgence.
Wan-Bissaka has been solid with his defensive displays since the World Cup final, but the right-back still has a weakness in the final third and struggles to create chances.
This is a key reason why Diogo Dalot has been preferred ahead of him regularly. The Portuguese recently reclaimed his starting spot after overcoming a thigh concern.
Frimpong should provide good competition for places to Dalot next season. It has already been reported that Leverkusen could sell him for a fee of around €25 million.
Stats from Transfermarkt.com and Sofascore.com
- Erik ten Hag has given go-ahead to sign Goncalo Ramos from Benfica
- Man Utd boss Ten Hag ‘concerned’ about Newcastle time-wasting
- Man Utd ‘first on the list’ for Ansu Fati, Jorge Mendes working on summer deal
- Erik ten Hag confirms double Man Utd injury boost ahead of Newcastle clash
- Man Utd defender Luke Shaw agrees fresh four-year contract
- Sheikh Jassim believes new Owners’ and Directors’ Test will not affect his Man United takeover
- Erik ten Hag to make decision on futures of Scott McTominay and Victor Lindelof
- Manchester United’s debt rises to almost £1 billion
- Erik ten Hag wants Andre Onana to provide competition to David de Gea next season
- Preview: Newcastle United vs Manchester United – prediction, team news, line-ups