Manchester United have been handed a much-needed boost with club captain Harry Maguire set to return to first-team training this week, according to The Sun.
The Red Devils recently played out a 1-1 draw against Chelsea in the Premier League. Casemiro salvaged a point with a late stoppage time equaliser after United went behind in the 87th minute.
While the result was somewhat satisfying, the club suffered an untimely blow with Raphael Varane picking up a hamstring injury. The Frenchman is now out of action for around four weeks.
The centre-back is not expected to play again for United before the World Cup, but they have been handed an injury boost elsewhere with Maguire set to return to full training after a muscle concern.
The England star suffered the injury against Germany on Nations League duty last month. His return should please United with Lisandro Martinez and Victor Lindelof being the only other fit centre-backs.
Maguire’s return is a boost for the Red Devils
Maguire’s form at club level over the past year has been inconsistent but he continues to remain a key player in the squad. Erik ten Hag recently said that he needs to get the best out of him.
The injury to Varane offers a chance for Maguire to redeem himself in the coming weeks. Lindelof will obviously be the first-choice to partner Lisandro Martinez, but Maguire will be eyeing minutes as well.
With six more matches before the mid-season interval, it is likely that Ten Hag will rotate his central defensive pairing. Meanwhile, Maguire’s return is also a boost for England ahead of the World Cup.
It is obviously known that manager Gareth Southgate will pick him in his 26-man squad regardless of his lack of minutes, but Maguire needs to be in the right form and shape ahead of the major tournament.
The £27 million-rated star played a big part for the Three Lions in their run to the 2018 World Cup semi-final and Euro 2020 final. Southgate has assured him his spot ahead of next month’s squad announcement.
Stats from Transfermarkt.com
- Louis Saha backs Man Utd to sign Harry Kane and win the Premier League
- Manchester United vs Leeds United: Premier League preview, team news & predicted starting XI
- Man Utd have identified Victor Osimhen as target with Harry Kane deal unlikely
- Man Utd made £100m bid for Declan Rice last summer, West Ham set fresh asking price
- Man Utd very attentive over Yannick Carrasco’s situation at Atletico Madrid
- Man Utd in advanced contract talks with Diogo Dalot amid Barcelona interest
- Could Kobbie Mainoo make his league debut for Manchester United in the absence of star midfielders?
- Man Utd’s transfer priority is clear after fresh Anthony Martial injury blow
- Man Utd handed early Europa League boost with two key Barcelona stars injured
- Erik ten Hag has easy midfield decision vs Leeds United with four players out