Manchester United have been handed a much-needed boost with club captain Harry Maguire set to return to first-team training this week, according to The Sun.
The Red Devils recently played out a 1-1 draw against Chelsea in the Premier League. Casemiro salvaged a point with a late stoppage time equaliser after United went behind in the 87th minute.
While the result was somewhat satisfying, the club suffered an untimely blow with Raphael Varane picking up a hamstring injury. The Frenchman is now out of action for around four weeks.
The centre-back is not expected to play again for United before the World Cup, but they have been handed an injury boost elsewhere with Maguire set to return to full training after a muscle concern.
The England star suffered the injury against Germany on Nations League duty last month. His return should please United with Lisandro Martinez and Victor Lindelof being the only other fit centre-backs.
Maguire’s return is a boost for the Red Devils
Maguire’s form at club level over the past year has been inconsistent but he continues to remain a key player in the squad. Erik ten Hag recently said that he needs to get the best out of him.
The injury to Varane offers a chance for Maguire to redeem himself in the coming weeks. Lindelof will obviously be the first-choice to partner Lisandro Martinez, but Maguire will be eyeing minutes as well.
With six more matches before the mid-season interval, it is likely that Ten Hag will rotate his central defensive pairing. Meanwhile, Maguire’s return is also a boost for England ahead of the World Cup.
It is obviously known that manager Gareth Southgate will pick him in his 26-man squad regardless of his lack of minutes, but Maguire needs to be in the right form and shape ahead of the major tournament.
The £27 million-rated star played a big part for the Three Lions in their run to the 2018 World Cup semi-final and Euro 2020 final. Southgate has assured him his spot ahead of next month’s squad announcement.
Stats from Transfermarkt.com
- Man Utd suffer transfer blow as Joshua Zirkzee wants to stay in Serie A
- Man Utd set to battle it out with Tottenham to land Bayer Leverkusen star Odion Kossounou
- Jeremie Frimpong is the most serious target for Man Utd, impressed by his performances
- Ratcliffe outlines three-year plan to knock Man City and Liverpool off their perch
- Manchester United left-back Luke Shaw set to miss the rest of the season
- Is Ashford’s United Arrival Now Simply A Matter Of Time?
- Wayne Rooney identifies Manchester United’s biggest issue right now
- Manchester United invite Gary Neville to help regenerate Old Trafford and surrounding area
- Manchester United’s FA Cup chances – can Hojlund fire the Red Devils to a trophy this season?
- Jadon Sancho struggles in Dortmund’s Champions League draw against PSV