Manchester United have been handed a boost in signing goalkeeper David Raya this summer with Brentford lining up a replacement for him, The Sun report.
The Spaniard has developed into one of the Premier League’s best shot-stoppers and Bees manager Thomas Frank recently admitted that it would be hard to keep him.
His current deal expires in the summer of 2024 and The Sun claim that the west London outfit have identified Freiburg star Mark Flekken as his potential successor.
Raya has his sights on playing for a top European club next term but he could cost a premium fee. Frank recently insisted that he is valued at £40 million by Brentford.
Raya could be Man Utd’s long-term goalkeeper
David de Gea has been in fine form between the sticks this season but it has recently emerged that he has refused to accept a pay-cut to sign a long-term contract.
This raises questions over his future at the club. United have the option to extend his £375,000-a-week deal by 12 months until June 2024, but have yet to do so.
The Red Devils remain hopeful of finalising a new deal with a salary reduction but a breakdown in talks could see De Gea leave on a free transfer during the summer.
This could pave the way for the purchase of Raya. The Spaniard has excelled with his long-range distribution this term. He averages 11 long balls per game with eight passes in the opposition half.
In comparison, De Gea has managed only 4.7 long balls per outing with 2.4 passes in the opposition half. Raya would be a clear upgrade on his compatriot when it comes to this attribute.
Stats from Transfermarkt.com, Capology.com & Sofascore.com
- Man Utd have their eyes on Dusan Vlahovic, Juventus open to selling him
- Man Utd interested in signing Andre Onana, Inter could sell him for €40-50m
- Erik ten Hag could unleash Alejandro Garnacho vs Man City after Antony Martial injury blow
- Man Utd’s next striker: Three stars on the radar
- FA Cup final preview: Manchester City vs Manchester United – where to watch, kick-off time, possible line-ups, form guide
- Major blow for Manchester United with Anthony Martial set to miss FA Cup final against Man City
- Man Utd decide against permanent deals for Wout Weghorst and Marcel Sabitzer
- ‘World-class’ Bruno Fernandes should get captaincy next season without question
- Porto star Diogo Costa wanted by Man Utd, ready to trigger his release clause
- Bruno Fernandes heaps praise on Goncalo Ramos, talks up move to Manchester United