Manchester United have been handed a boost in signing midfielder Frenkie de Jong with Barcelona having put him up for sale this summer.
The Red Devils are eyeing a new defensive midfielder and they have been regularly linked with the Netherlands international in recent weeks.
AS now reports that Barcelona have decided to place De Jong in the transfer market after getting the go-ahead from manager Xavi Hernandez.
Manchester United and Bayern Munich are mentioned as the main admirers of the former Ajax graduate, who is valued at €70 million.
Valencia’s Carlos Soler has been tipped to replace the Dutchman at Camp Nou. It is claimed that a deal worth €20m has already been agreed.
A new defensive midfielder should be United’s main priority for the summer transfer window with Nemanja Matic and Paul Pogba heading for the exit door.
De Jong built his reputation at Ajax under Erik ten Hag. He was a key player from the holding midfield role in their run to the Champions League semi-final in 2019.
Bayern have the edge over United with Champions League qualification, but the chance of a reunion with Ten Hag could lure him to Old Trafford this summer.
It has been claimed that De Jong only sees himself playing under Ten Hag if he were to leave Camp Nou. If United are interested, the final decision could rest upon the incoming boss.
De Jong is strong with his technical attributes. The Dutchman has excellent ball control, and has completed 91.4 per cent of his passes in the Spanish top-flight this campaign.
However, he is not a tough tackler and mostly relies on his concentration. If United are looking at the former aspect, Monaco’s Aurelien Tchouameni would be a better choice.
On the other hand, Ward-Prowse would be a solid acquisition if Ten Hag wants more creativity. The England star has registered 10 goals and eight assists this term.
In comparison, De Jong has never been a regular goal contributor. He has not scored more than three goals in a league campaign since graduating in the Ajax setup.
Judging by United’s defensive woes, Tchouameni would be ideal, but it won’t be a surprise if Ten Hag requests the signing of De Jong, who is well versed with his style of play.
Stats from Transfermarkt.com
- Man Utd leading race to sign Sergej Milinkovic-Savic
- Man Utd willing to pay €50m for Villarreal defender Pau Torres
- Man Utd sell out season tickets for next season, but when will £200m+ renovation start?
- Harry Maguire makes England squad for Nations League games
- Man Utd handed blow in pursuit of Darwin Nunez
- Erik ten Hag gives his verdict on Harry Maguire’s Man Utd captaincy
- Man Utd to receive summer spending boost with £48m cleared off wage bill
- Erik ten Hag looking forward to Donny van de Beek reunion
- Bruno Fernandes produces dismal display at Crystal Palace
- David de Gea sends clear message to unhappy Man Utd stars