Manchester United have been handed a boost in signing midfielder Frenkie de Jong with Barcelona having put him up for sale this summer.
The Red Devils are eyeing a new defensive midfielder and they have been regularly linked with the Netherlands international in recent weeks.
AS now reports that Barcelona have decided to place De Jong in the transfer market after getting the go-ahead from manager Xavi Hernandez.
Manchester United and Bayern Munich are mentioned as the main admirers of the former Ajax graduate, who is valued at €70 million.
Valencia’s Carlos Soler has been tipped to replace the Dutchman at Camp Nou. It is claimed that a deal worth €20m has already been agreed.
A new defensive midfielder should be United’s main priority for the summer transfer window with Nemanja Matic and Paul Pogba heading for the exit door.
De Jong built his reputation at Ajax under Erik ten Hag. He was a key player from the holding midfield role in their run to the Champions League semi-final in 2019.
Bayern have the edge over United with Champions League qualification, but the chance of a reunion with Ten Hag could lure him to Old Trafford this summer.
It has been claimed that De Jong only sees himself playing under Ten Hag if he were to leave Camp Nou. If United are interested, the final decision could rest upon the incoming boss.
De Jong is strong with his technical attributes. The Dutchman has excellent ball control, and has completed 91.4 per cent of his passes in the Spanish top-flight this campaign.
However, he is not a tough tackler and mostly relies on his concentration. If United are looking at the former aspect, Monaco’s Aurelien Tchouameni would be a better choice.
On the other hand, Ward-Prowse would be a solid acquisition if Ten Hag wants more creativity. The England star has registered 10 goals and eight assists this term.
In comparison, De Jong has never been a regular goal contributor. He has not scored more than three goals in a league campaign since graduating in the Ajax setup.
Judging by United’s defensive woes, Tchouameni would be ideal, but it won’t be a surprise if Ten Hag requests the signing of De Jong, who is well versed with his style of play.
Stats from Transfermarkt.com
- Manchester United news: Nemanja Matic fires back at Roy Keane and defends Harry Maguire
- Manchester United stars shine as Portugal stun Czech Republic 4-0 in the Nations League
- Manchester United star will miss Ukraine clash after picking up second booking in Scotland’s Nations League win
- Manchester United star defends his place in England team after Nations League defeat to Italy
- Ronald Koeman believes Manchester United need to give Ten Hag time to guide them to success
- Manchester United football director makes youth player promise
- Eriksen shines but will he stay fit through Man United’s busy October?
- Gakpo has been on a great run of form – have Man United missed out?
- Christian Eriksen named Manchester United’s Player of the Month for September
- Sir Alex Ferguson wanted to sign Cristiano Ronaldo and Gareth Bale before retiring, claims Patrice Evra