Manchester United have been handed a boost in signing Juventus midfielder Adrien Rabiot after missing out on the services of Porto’s Vitinha.
However, the club have now been offered the incentive to sign Rabiot with Fabrizio Romano reporting that Premier League clubs are interested in pursuing him.
United have been frequently linked with Rabiot over the past few weeks and it has been claimed that they have already taken ‘concrete steps‘ to land his signature.
United obviously have Barcelona’s Frenkie de Jong as the top midfield priority, and talks are still ongoing with the Catalan giants over a suitable transfer fee.
Regardless of the Dutchman’s pursuit, United could be eyeing another central/defensive midfielder this summer, considering the congested schedule due to the World Cup.
United have to play a staggering 10 games in October, and they could face a similar schedule in April next year. This should urge the hierarchy to add more quality and depth in the squad.
Rabiot would provide much-needed experience in the United ranks after the departures of Nemanja Matic and Paul Pogba. He would suit the Premier League with his style of play.
The Frenchman is strong with his tackling (two tackles per game last season), but can also hold-up play efficiently with his physical presence. He also has the knack for registering key passes.
With his contract expiring in June 2023, the Bianconeri are willing to sell him for just €15 million. He would be a bargain for that price, but United won’t have it easy in the pursuit of his services.
Chelsea are also firm admirers of the former Paris Saint-Germain man and have Champions League football on offer. United will need to open negotiations early to convince him to join them.
Stats from Transfermarkt.com and WhoScored.com
- Man Utd confirm long-term deal for Zidane Iqbal, Fernandez and Garnacho assigned new squad numbers
- Man United goalkeeper Nathan Bishop closing in on Wycombe Wanderers loan move
- Manchester United join race for Marco Asensio as Ajax put 80m price tag on Antony
- Man Utd to make transfer offer for Denzel Dumfries
- Frenkie de Jong open to joining Man Utd as they near agreement with Barcelona
- Man Utd may need to spend £130m to land Antony and Lisandro Martinez
- Cristiano Ronaldo and Harry Maguire were involved in captaincy dispute
- Man Utd ready to battle Chelsea for Matthijs de Ligt
- Man Utd aim to seal Frenkie de Jong deal before Thursday
- Man Utd’s pre-season starts: Erik ten Hag’s demands, returning players and De Jong latest