Manchester United have been handed a blow with Real Sociedad set to end their pursuit of midfielder Donny van de Beek, according to Mundo Deportivo (Gipuzkoa edition).
The Red Devils recently sanctioned the departure of Fred to Fenerbahce, and they have been in regular talks with Sociedad over a potential deal for Van de Beek.
However, there has been no progress thus far. Mundo Deportivo claim that Sociedad will end their interest in the Dutchman as soon as they sign Arsen Zakharyan.
The Champions League outfit are currently in advanced negotiations with Dynamo Moscow for the Russian, and they are convinced about recruiting him for €12 million.
Meanwhile, Sociedad recently proposed to sign Van de Beek on loan with an option to buy, but United made it clear that they wanted a mandatory buy clause of over €12m.
While there is not much difference in the transfer fee, Sociedad have decided to choose Zakharyan, who would command a much lower weekly salary than the 26-year-old.
Zakharyan currently earns four times less than the former Ajax man.
Man Utd handed blow in offloading Van de Beek
United are aiming to bring in a defensive midfielder. They have already sold Fred to Fenerbahce, but need another departure before they can concentrate on a new signing.
Van de Beek seemed a potential candidate to fill the void left by David Silva at Sociedad, but the La Liga club have now decided to push through a deal for Zakharyan.
The news is a blow for the Red Devils, who may need to wait longer to part ways with Van de Beek.
The Dutchman has failed to adapt to the demands of the Premier League. United are prepared to offload him on a permanent basis or a loan deal with a buy obligation.
There is no fresh interest in him at the moment, but the club will be hoping for late proposals.
Stats from Transfermarkt.com & Capology.com
- Erik ten Hag must pair Sofyan Amrabat with Kobbie Mainoo in midfield vs Bayern
- ‘3-0 looks like a good result’: Gary Neville reacts after Man Utd’s loss to Bournemouth
- Manchester United eyeing RB Leipzig forward Lois Openda ahead of January transfer window
- Erik ten Hag must start Raphael Varane in must-win UCL game vs Bayern
- Manchester United monitoring Manchester City midfielder Kalvin Phillips ahead of potential move, Erik ten Hag a huge fan
- Confirmed Man Utd line-up vs Bournemouth, Reguilon starts
- Erik ten Hag hails Harry Maguire for winning November Player of the Month award, joins Ferdinand and Vidic in the elite list
- Man United make ‘enquiry’ for Stuttgart striker Serhou Guirassy, available for less than €20 million
- Predicted Man Utd line-up vs Bournemouth, Reguilon starts
- Manchester United send scouts to watch Braga vs Vizela with summer target Matheus Magalhaes in action