Manchester United have been handed a potential blow with Real Madrid boss Carlo Ancelotti keen on signing Tottenham Hotspur striker Harry Kane this summer, AS report (page 6).
The Red Devils are expected to pursue a marquee striker during the upcoming transfer window and it has been widely reported that Kane is the priority target for manager Erik ten Hag.
However, they could now face fresh competition in the player’s pursuit with Madrid knocking on the door.
Karim Benzema has been Los Blancos’ undisputed choice up front for many years but Ancelotti is looking for an ideal striker to complement the Ballon d’Or winner before next season.
Kane is Ancelotti’s favourite. The Italian tactician sees Kane as the perfect striker with his experience. He believes the 29-year-old could offer ‘immediate performance’ and can prolong it over ‘several seasons’.
Spurs are yet to make any decision on Kane’s future but they could be compelled to sanction his sale this summer with his contract due to expire at the end of the 2023/24 campaign.
United face Madrid competition for Kane
Kane has had another fantastic Premier League campaign with Spurs. He has been ever-present in the top-flight, contributing 28 goals and three assists from 37 appearances.
Despite his efforts, the north London club have failed to qualify for next season’s Champions League. They could miss out on European football unless Aston Villa drop points tomorrow.
Hence, we won’t be surprised if Kane decides to move on from Spurs. The capital outfit value him at £100 million and it appears a fair price for a striker who has only got better with age.
Both United and Madrid have the luxury of Champions League football next season but Spurs could prefer to do business with Los Blancos than negotiating with a direct league rival.
However, this does not mean that United are out of the race. Kane currently has 211 Premier League goals and may want to leapfrog Alan Shearer’s all-time record of 260 in the coming seasons.
This could persuade him to prolong his Premier League stay. With Spurs no longer competitive at the top level, United would be a lucrative destination for Kane to add trophies to his cabinet.
The Red Devils have made good progress under manager Erik ten Hag this term and could become genuine contenders for the Premier League crown with Kane leading the line next season.
Stats from Transfermarkt.com
- Man Utd decide against permanent deals for Wout Weghorst and Marcel Sabitzer
- ‘World-class’ Bruno Fernandes should get captaincy next season without question
- Porto star Diogo Costa wanted by Man Utd, ready to trigger his release clause
- Bruno Fernandes heaps praise on Goncalo Ramos, talks up move to Manchester United
- Feyenoord lining up fresh proposal for Man Utd starlet Amad Diallo
- Man Utd readying big-money offer for Goncalo Ramos but Roger Schmidt hopes to keep him
- Manchester United in 2023/24 – Expectations, Predictions and Betting odds
- Erik ten Hag opens up on striker plans, David de Gea & Harry Maguire
- Marcus Rashford wins two major end-of-season awards for Manchester United
- Manchester United eliminate club crest from third kit for the 2023/24 season