Manchester United have been handed a blow with Real Madrid entering the race to sign Tottenham Hotspur striker Harry Kane.
The Red Devils are expected to sign a marquee centre-forward, and Kane is the priority target for manager Erik ten Hag this summer.
United are yet to make a formal bid, but they have suffered a setback with Los Blancos entering the pursuit of the England international.
According to Daily Mail, the La Liga giants have their sights on landing Kane as they seek to find a replacement for the departing Karim Benzema.
Spurs currently value their prized asset at £100 million, but it is claimed that Madrid could have leverage to lower the transfer fee for him.
The north London giants are reluctant to lose Kane to another English club, and Madrid’s interest could be a welcoming sight for Spurs.
Man Utd face difficult challenge to land Kane
Kane was in phenomenal form for Spurs in the recent campaign. He netted 32 goals in all competitions, with 30 of those coming in the Premier League.
Despite his performances, Spurs finished a lowly eighth in the table. Kane has yet to win any form of silverware and he could contemplate an exit.
Madrid are a lucrative destination for any player, but Kane could resist the transfer as he is close to breaking the all-time Premier League scoring record.
He is currently on 213 goals and only 47 away from Alan Shearer’s feat. Kane could easily break the long-standing record in one-and-a-half seasons.
Hence, he could decline a switch to the Bernabeu, but United could still miss out on his signature.
Spurs seem determined to keep him for the final year of his contract than selling to a direct rival.
In such a case, United may have to wait until next summer to land Kane on a free transfer.
Stats from Transfermarkt.com
- Man Utd suffer big blow with Lisandro Martinez requiring fresh metatarsal surgery
- Man Utd interested in Bayern Munich centre-back Matthijs de Ligt
- Alejandro Garnacho should start against Galatasaray in the Champions League
- Erik ten Hag speaks on Marcus Rashford’s form after Crystal Palace loss
- Manchester United 0-1 Crystal Palace: Player ratings as the Red Devils suffer second successive Old Trafford loss in Premier League
- Confirmed Man Utd line-up vs Crystal Palace, Hojlund starts
- Lisandro Martinez may require second foot surgery, could be out until December
- Antony pictured arriving at Carrington after Man United approved return
- Erik ten Hag reacts to Hannibal Mejbri’s breakthrough at Man Utd
- Predicted Man Utd line-up vs Crystal Palace, Hojlund returns