Manchester United goalkeeper Tom Heaton has confirmed that he will be sidelined for another few weeks following an ankle injury sustained before the Fulham game.
The 36-year-old has been a regular in the matchday squad for the Red Devils this year. He has kept clean sheets in his two appearances – both in the Carabao Cup.
Heaton was recently absent for the FA Cup quarter-final victory over Fulham and he has now revealed that he rolled his ankle in training before the game.
The experienced ace added that he damaged his ligament in the process but remains hopeful of making his comeback midway through the month of April.
He told Manutd.com: “Yeah, unfortunately the day before the Fulham game, I rolled my ankle in training.”
“Thankfully, it’s not too bad but it’ll mean a couple of weeks out, I think. I should be back some point in April somewhere, hopefully halfway through.
“It’s an occupational hazard unfortunately, a bit of a random one but, yeah, I just went over on the ankle and nicked the ligament.
“I’m in this [protective boot] for another few days then hope to get it back moving again.”
United currently have David de Gea as an undisputed choice between the sticks. The Spaniard has been rested for just four games in the Cup competitions.
In Heaton’s absence, January loan signing Jack Butland will be on the bench in the coming weeks, but it is unlikely that he will play any part for the Red Devils.
Erik ten Hag’s side have entered a crucial phase across all competitions and we don’t see De Gea being rested between now and the end of the campaign.
The 32-year-old has had another stellar season with outstanding saves and will be eyeing more glory with the club competing for the FA Cup and Europa League.
Stats from Transfermarkt.com
- Kim Min-jae remains Man Utd’s top centre-back target, verbal offer already made
- Manchester United goalkeeper David De Gea ready to snub Saudi Pro League offer for Old Trafford stay
- Man Utd target Benjamin Pavard allowed to leave Bayern immediately, price tag revealed
- AS Monaco centre-back Axel Disasi one step away from joining Manchester United
- Manchester United want €20m for Anthony Elanga as RB Leipzig open talks
- Tottenham and West Ham offered chance to sign Man Utd captain Harry Maguire
- Sheikh Jassim submits fifth bid for Manchester United
- Man United monitoring Ligue 1 if they fail to land Min-jae with Maguire due to discuss his future with Ten Hag next week
- ‘Very soon’: Man Utd could move forward with bid for Porto goalkeeper Diogo Costa
- Napoli star Kim Min-jae already home with suitcases ‘ready to go to Man Utd’