Belgian First Division A giants Anderlecht will allow Manchester United target Leander Dendoncker to leave over the summer, according to reports.
The 22-year-old enjoyed a fine 2016-17 campaign where he made 56 appearances in all competitions, including 40 in the Belgian top flight (including post-season playoffs) and 15 in Europe where Anderlecht were crowned domestic champions and reached the quarter-finals in the Europa League where we eliminated them.
Dendoncker actually scored the late equaliser in the first leg of our quarter-final tie at the Constant Vanden Stock Stadium.
The Belgian international was linked to us over the summer prior to us completing a deal for Nemanja Matic.
Now Anderlecht manager Herman van Holsbeeck has revealed that the club would be happy to work with the player next summer to help him secure a move should he want to leave. This opens the door to Jose Mourinho to make an offer.
Van Holsbeeck told Sport/Foot (via the Manchester Evening News):
“Dendoncker’s head was elsewhere.
“He showed his disappointment during training at not being transferred. His mate [Youri] Tielemans went to Monaco, and he was training with the national team, and he wanted, like them, to play in the biggest leagues.
“Certain people in his entourage put pressure on me, on the club or on his agent, Christophe Henrotay. Today, we’re prepared to pay him based on his status of key player and to work on his future transfer like we did for Youri. In fact, we all have an interest in working together.”
With Michael Carrick turning 37 before the start of next season the former-England international is likely to be in his final season at Old Trafford. With Dendoncker being 14 years his junior he could be an excellent replacement option for us.
However, Carrick is yet to play in any of our opening six games in all competitions this season as Mourinho has a wealth of central midfield talent in his squad. Nemanja Matic and Paul Pogba have been the preferred choice whilst Marouane Fellaini has made a great impact from the bench to start the season. Ander Herrera has been used sparingly whilst youngster Andreas Pereira is currently out on loan at Valencia.
Leander Dendoncker is believed to be valued at £27 million which is nothing in today’s market given the Premier League TV rights and money from the Champions League. He has two caps for the Belgian national team and has similar traits to Matic in that he is good at breaking up the opposition’s possession, looks after the ball well and brings it forward to help start attacks.
- Man Utd handed big boost as Juventus lower price tag for Dusan Vlahovic
- Man Utd in pole position in Kim Min-jae race but PSG could explore deal for him
- ‘Above all’: Man Utd leading race to sign Rasmus Hojlund, need to make ‘big offer’
- Man Utd provide ‘strong competition’ in race to sign AZ Alkmaar forward Jesper Karlsson
- Man Utd boss ten Hag deems Victor Lindelof ‘untouchable’
- PSG president Nasser Al-Khelaifi playing significant role in Manchester United takeover bid
- Stats show why Kim Min-jae is the perfect signing for Man Utd over Axel Disasi
- Sheikh Jassim will not end interest in Manchester United if Friday deadline passes
- Manchester United finalising proposal to sign Porto goalkeeper Diogo Costa
- Man Utd linked with Juventus star Federico Chiesa who could be sold for €30-35m