Manchester United were linked to a number of centre-backs over the summer but failed to land a single one of our targets.
Jose Mourinho has seemingly fallen out with Eric Bailly, leading to Chris Smalling and Victor Lindelof being our centre-back partnership in recent weeks. We have only kept one clean sheet all season.
According to reports, Chelsea have told Gary Cahill that he can leave Stamford Bridge, with Maurizio Sarri preferring David Luiz and Antonio Rudiger in defence.
Cahill has played only 21 minutes of Premier League action under the Italian coach this season and that came back in September.
The 32-year-old’s contract is set to expire in the summer, meaning we can land the former-England international on a free transfer before the start of next season. It also means there’s a good chance we could sign him on the cheap in January if we so desire.
A report in the Express today believes we could loan Gary Cahill for the second half of the season.
There’s no doubt that the two-time Premier League winner would bring a wealth of experience to our club but I’ve never been a big fan of Gary Cahill. He looked very poor last season as Chelsea finished outside of the Champions League places and dismissed Antonio Conte over the summer.
In my opinion, with Smalling, Lindelof, Phil Jones and Eric Bailly already on our books, Jose Mourinho would be better served finding a younger, top class centre-back for the long-term, rather than bringing in Cahill for a season or two.
- Confirmed Man Utd line-up vs Crystal Palace, Garnacho starts
- Alejandro Garnacho’s market value skyrockets but Man Utd unlikely to cash in on prodigious forward
- Manchester United midfielder Sofyan Amrabat was hours away from joining Liverpool this summer, set to join Sports Entertainment Group
- Jadon Sancho deactivates Instagram account following exile from Man United facilities
- Sir Jim Ratcliffe restructuring his offer to buy Man Utd
- Phil Jones studying to become a sports director and doing his coaching badges with Manchester United
- Jorge Mendes spoke to Man Utd regarding Joao Felix before Barcelona move
- Alejandro Garnacho has big point to prove vs Crystal Palace tonight
- Predicted Man Utd line-up vs Crystal Palace, Garnacho starts
- Man Utd watching Javi Guerra every game, classify him as a top player