We are into the final 24 hours of the summer transfer window and Manchester United have yet to sign a new centre-back.
It was one position we have been widely-expected to make a new recruit this summer and as the days and hours have ticked down, the reports of us bringing in a new player in this position continue to grow.
So far this summer we have only landed central midfielder Fred, full-back Diogo Dalot and backup goalkeeper Lee Grant.
However, we may have been handed a double boost in an attempt to sign one of our centre-back targets today or tomorrow.
While it was reported earlier today by Football-Talk that Leicester City had rejected two bids from us for Harry Maguire, with the second of those being for £60 million, the England international has since come out saying that he is still hopeful of joining Manchester United this summer.
The transfer window shuts 5pm on Thursday – little more than 24 hours before we kick off the 2018-19 Premier League season at Old Trafford, against, of all teams, Leicester City.
Further positive news for us is that Leicester City are in advanced talks to sign two more centre-backs. One of those is 21-year-old Croatian Filip Benkovic, from Dinamo Zagreb. Arguably not someone who would immediately be expected to go into the first team.
The second centre-back the Foxes are in advanced talks with is Caglar Soyuncu from Freiburg. The Turkish international is coming off an excellent season in the Bundesliga and arguably wouldn’t be signing for a mid-table Premier League team without the guarantee of regular first team football.
Leicester have already signed former-Manchester United centre-back Jonny Evans this summer and manager Claude Puel is a fan of a back four.
- Preview: Burnley vs Manchester United – prediction, team news, line-ups
- Burnley boss Vincent Kompany lauds ‘extremely capable’ Erik ten Hag ahead of Man Utd clash
- Kie Plumley announces he has joined Manchester United
- Erik ten Hag should start Alejandro Garnacho vs Burnley after lively cameo
- Man Utd midfielder Christian Eriksen delivers frustrating display vs Bayern
- Manchester United goalkeeper Andre Onana owns up to his catastrophic error against Bayern Munich
- Bayern Munich 4-3 Manchester United: Player ratings as Andre Onana and Christian Eriksen disappoint massively
- Confirmed Man Utd line-up vs Bayern Munich, Pellistri starts
- Sir Jim Ratcliffe and Sheikh Jassim reluctant to raise their bids for Manchester United following their poor start to 2023-24
- ‘Would have signed anything’: Brazilian midfielder reveals chat with Sir Alex Ferguson convinced him to join Man Utd