Manchester United are among the front-runners to sign Napoli striker Victor Osimhen, Italian outlet Sport Mediaset reports.
The Red Devils have been fancied to sign a quality young striker this summer, and Osimhen has emerged as a potential transfer target.
It is now reported that Napoli president Aurelio de Laurentiis won’t stop Osimhen from leaving if his €100 million (£85m) price tag is met.
Premier League clubs are seemingly in the best position to sign him. It is highlighted that United and Newcastle could be leading the pursuit.
Osimhen has had a productive season with Napoli, registering 17 goals and six assists from 30 appearances across all competitions.
The 23-year-old has delivered several stand-out performances, but has yet to reach the heights of some of Europe’s elite strikers.
Amid injuries, he has yet to find the consistency across an entire campaign and United would be taking a gamble with the hefty price tag.
He could emerge as a leading star in the future with his quality finishing, but the Red Devils need a genuine goalscorer for the fee quoted.
In our opinion, Benfica’s Darwin Nunez would be a far better fit for incoming boss Erik ten Hag with his added versatility.
Nunez has 34 goals and four assists from 41 games this term. He prefers to play in a front two but has also impressed from the left wing.
The Uruguayan is valued at a similar figure, but seems better prepared for a bigger challenge with his excellent exploits in Europe.
With goals against Ajax, Barcelona, Bayern Munich and Liverpool, the 22-year-old has shown that he has the big-game mentality.
Stats from Transfermarkt.com
- Manchester United: Christian Eriksen’s masterclass helps Denmark beat France 2-0
- Manchester United news: Nemanja Matic fires back at Roy Keane and defends Harry Maguire
- Manchester United stars shine as Portugal stun Czech Republic 4-0 in the Nations League
- Manchester United star will miss Ukraine clash after picking up second booking in Scotland’s Nations League win
- Manchester United star defends his place in England team after Nations League defeat to Italy
- Ronald Koeman believes Manchester United need to give Ten Hag time to guide them to success
- Manchester United football director makes youth player promise
- Eriksen shines but will he stay fit through Man United’s busy October?
- Gakpo has been on a great run of form – have Man United missed out?
- Christian Eriksen named Manchester United’s Player of the Month for September