Manchester United fear Antony may have suffered a recurrence of an ankle injury which kept him on the sidelines during the final two months of last season with Ajax.
The Brazil international has had a mixed start to his United career. He has shown several flashes of brilliance but the attacker has also struggled in multiple appearances.
He has still had a decent debut season with 15 goal contributions. It is now reported by The Independent that Antony’s campaign could be over after his serious injury last night.
The 23-year-old was in tears as he was stretchered off in the first half against Chelsea and it is claimed that he has suffered a recurrence of the same ankle injury from last season.
Antony missed the final two months of Ajax’s campaign as a result and the attacker could face a similar spell on the sidelines with the Red Devils, as per The Independent.
Jadon Sancho set to provide cover for Antony
Sancho recently provided cover for Marcus Rashford on the left wing and he could have a similar role with Antony ruled out for the remainder of the campaign.
The England international had a lively performance from the right flank yesterday after Antony’s setback. He bagged an assist for Anthony Martial’s goal before half-time.
Aside from his goal contribution, he managed five key passes and created three big chances. Sancho completed the game with a pass accuracy of over 80 per cent.
The 23-year-old has been in-and-out of the starting line-up this term and he has the chance to prove his credentials in the much-anticipated FA Cup final on June 3.
United will tackle arch-rivals Manchester City at the Wembley Stadium. Sancho should be motivated to come out on the winning side against his former employers.
Stats from Transfermarkt.com & Sofascore.com
- Man Utd handed big boost as Juventus lower price tag for Dusan Vlahovic
- Man Utd in pole position in Kim Min-jae race but PSG could explore deal for him
- ‘Above all’: Man Utd leading race to sign Rasmus Hojlund, need to make ‘big offer’
- Man Utd provide ‘strong competition’ in race to sign AZ Alkmaar forward Jesper Karlsson
- Man Utd boss ten Hag deems Victor Lindelof ‘untouchable’
- PSG president Nasser Al-Khelaifi playing significant role in Manchester United takeover bid
- Stats show why Kim Min-jae is the perfect signing for Man Utd over Axel Disasi
- Sheikh Jassim will not end interest in Manchester United if Friday deadline passes
- Manchester United finalising proposal to sign Porto goalkeeper Diogo Costa
- Man Utd linked with Juventus star Federico Chiesa who could be sold for €30-35m