Manchester United are leading Real Madrid and Barcelona in the race to sign Marseille midfielder Boubacar Kamara this month, Spanish publication Marca claims.
The Red Devils have been fancied to sign a new holding midfielder during the ongoing transfer window, but it was recently claimed that they may not be any incomings.
However, there appears another twist to the story with reports now claiming that Kamara could join the club on a cut-price deal before Monday’s transfer deadline.
Madrid and Barcelona have also been credited with an interest in the versatile midfielder, but United are seemingly in pole position to secure his services in the coming days.
With his contract expiring in the summer, Les Phoceens are willing to accept a fee of around £10 million. Kamara, on the other hand, could pocket a salary of £150,000-per-week.
Kamara has been one of Marseille’s best performing players in the centre of the park. The 22-year-old has made 24 appearances where he has impressed with his all-round displays.
He has averaged a combined tally of nearly three tackles and interceptions per game. His distribution has also been fluent, with a pass success rate of more than 90 percent.
The youngster still has room for improvement but should provide strong competition to Scott McTominay and Fred in midfield while paving the way for Paul Pogba’s summer exit.
Comparing league statistics, Kamara likes the ball at his feet. He has averaged 61 passes per game, which is significantly higher than Fred (51) and McTominay (40) this campaign.
While he excelled in the defensive midfield role, the Frenchman is also comfortable playing in central defence. His versatility will be a big boost for the Red Devils going forward.
Stats from Transfermarkt.com and WhoScored.com.
- Man Utd leading race to sign Sergej Milinkovic-Savic
- Man Utd willing to pay €50m for Villarreal defender Pau Torres
- Man Utd sell out season tickets for next season, but when will £200m+ renovation start?
- Harry Maguire makes England squad for Nations League games
- Man Utd handed blow in pursuit of Darwin Nunez
- Erik ten Hag gives his verdict on Harry Maguire’s Man Utd captaincy
- Man Utd to receive summer spending boost with £48m cleared off wage bill
- Erik ten Hag looking forward to Donny van de Beek reunion
- Bruno Fernandes produces dismal display at Crystal Palace
- David de Gea sends clear message to unhappy Man Utd stars