Manchester United are currently favourites alongside Arsenal to sign Atletico Madrid forward Joao Felix during the January transfer window, AS report (today’s edition, page 16).
The Portuguese has had a difficult season with the Spanish giants, managing just 818 minutes of playing time. He is desperate to leave this winter and could be heading to the Premier League.
According to AS, United and Arsenal have taken the lead to sign the 23-year-old next month. Felix is also on the radar of Paris Saint-Germain but does not wish to join them at the turn of the year.
Atletico are prepared to part ways with the attacker for €100 million (£86m) next month.
United could make loan approach for Felix
United need to bolster their centre-forward department after Cristiano Ronaldo’s release and his compatriot Felix would be a quality addition during the winter transfer window.
However, the big question is whether United will meet the price tag. After a huge spending spree last summer, the club’s hierarchy are reluctant to spend big on a new striker in January.
Hence, the focus could be on securing a loan deal with an option to buy, but it is unclear whether Atletico would accept such a proposal as they plan to recoup losses for the current campaign.
The Spanish outfit had a deficit of around €40m last summer and it is set to increase by €30m following their shock exit from this season’s Champions League as well as European football.
United have a good relationship with Felix’s agent Jorge Mendes, but may need to open talks with Atletico as soon as possible, considering arch-rivals Arsenal are also interested in him.
Stats from Transfermarkt.com
- Donny van de Beek struggles in Dortmund’s Champions League draw against PSV
- Man Utd really like Juventus star Gleison Bremer, will cost at least €70m
- Sir Jim Ratcliffe finally completes purchase of minority stake in Manchester United
- Man Utd star Casemiro open to Saudi Arabia move, interest remains valid
- Man Utd pressing to sign Gleison Bremer, strongly targeting summer deal
- Chelsea beat Manchester United to the signing of Sam Jewell
- Man United spending power to be limited this summer amid PSR concerns
- Wan-Bissaka out for two to four weeks with fresh injury but Mount close to availability
- Manchester United could rival Liverpool for Crystal Palace centre-back Marc Guehi if Dan Ashworth can be appointed in time
- Manchester United table offer for Paris Saint-Germain star Kylian Mbappe