Manchester United failed with an 11th hour bid to sign Chelsea forward Timo Werner before his move to RB Leipzig, Manchester Evening News report.
The Red Devils have entered a desperation stage in the transfer window as they look to add more reinforcements before the September 1 deadline.
A new forward is among the top priorities for the club, and according to M.E.N, the Red Devils failed with an 11th hour attempt to land Werner from the Blues.
The Germany international would have been a a solid acquisition for United, but opted to rejoin Leipzig instead in a deal worth £25 million this month.
Meanwhile, it is reported that Ten Hag is keen on a reunion with Chelsea’s Hakim Ziyech after their spell at Ajax, but the hierarchy don’t want to back him for the player.
Man Utd looking at random attacking targets
United have entered the final phase of the transfer window, and it appears the board are now looking at multiple targets as they get desperate to bolster the squad.
Werner had a mixed spell at Chelsea where he squandered several scoring chances, but still made an impressive 45 goal contributions over two seasons for the Blues.
The 2020/21 Champions League winner would definitely have provided an upgrade at United, but it was not meant to be as he decided to return to the German top flight.
Ziyech is another player that has underperformed with the Blues over the last two years. Despite this, he managed 12 goal contributions last campaign, far more than what Jadon Sancho and Marcus Rashford achieved.
Having backed Ten Hag on summer targets, the board are resistant over a move for Ziyech. They probably don’t want to deal with Chelsea or overpay for a player that could be past his prime at 29.
Stats from Transfermarkt.com
- Man Utd working on deal to sign Yann Sommer
- Glazers decide to drop semi-annual dividends after £225m summer spending spree
- Manchester United’s World Cup Quarter-Finalists – Predictions & Betting Tips
- How the playing surface at Old Trafford is created
- PSG president open to signing Marcus Rashford on a free transfer
- De Gea: Manchester United yet to open talks over a new contract
- Man Utd target Goncalo Ramos now valued at €80m by Benfica
- Man Utd have advantage over Real Madrid in pursuit of Cody Gakpo
- Man Utd duo should be sold in January after woeful displays against Cadiz
- ‘I will think about it’: Cody Gakpo opens the door for Man Utd transfer in January