Manchester United face competition from Chelsea and Paris Saint-Germain in the race to sign Napoli striker Victor Osimhen this summer, Sky Sport Germany journalist Florian Plettenberg claims.
The Nigeria international has had a top season with Napoli, scoring 21 goals and providing five assists from 27 appearances in all competitions.
His form has caught the eye of several elite clubs including United, but they are set to face competition during the summer’s transfer window.
According to Plettenberg, Chelsea and Paris Saint-Germain have joined United in the race for the striker, who could cost at least €100 million.
Manchester City have also made an enquiry for him, though a transfer is unlikely as they already have Erling Haaland and Julian Alvarez.
United could move for Osimhen after Spurs’ stance on Harry Kane
Earlier this month, it was reported that Tottenham Hotspur star Harry Kane is the prime target for manager Erik ten Hag this summer.
However, a transfer seem unlikely to happen with Spurs determined to keep the striker for the final year of his contract if he does not renew.
Hence, the Red Devils may have to look elsewhere and they could turn their focus towards landing Osimhen from the Serie A leaders.
Osimhen has had a top campaign for Napoli with 26 goal contributions in 27 games. He is just entering the prime of his career at the age of 24.
The Nigerian would be a top-class acquisition for United with his excellent finishing, pace on the counter-attack and his aerial presence in the box.
Plettenberg claims that he could be prised away for €100m but recent reports have suggested that Napoli could hold out for as much as €150m.
In our view, United may need to pay a fee close to that figure as Napoli president Aurelio De Laurentiis is a tough negotiator when it comes to his players.
Stats from Transfermarkt.com
- Elliott Investment Management submits offer for Man United minority stake
- Man Utd continuing attempts to agree new contracts with De Gea and Rashford
- Man Utd and Chelsea vying to sign Inter Milan goalkeeper Andre Onana
- With Paul Mitchell set to leave Monaco, Man Utd must beat Liverpool and sign him
- Cristiano Ronaldo opens up on his controversial Manchester United exit for the first time
- Tottenham Hotspur’s interest in Man United goalkeeper Dean Henderson could open talks for Harry Kane deal
- Manchester United in advanced talks to sign Watford left-back Harry Amass
- Man Utd star Christian Eriksen provides huge injury update on Instagram
- Behind only Arsenal, Man Utd have been fined six-figure sum for referee abuse
- Man Utd target Diogo Costa could be sold as Porto require €50m to balance their books