Manchester United are considering a surprise move for Everton centre-back Jarrad Branthwaite, according to Daily Mail journalist Simon Jones.
The Red Devils have already signed Mason Mount and Andre Onana to bolster the midfield and goalkeeper departments for next season.
There is also a deal in place with Atalanta for Rasmus Hojlund. The Dane should be a quality upgrade on Anthony Martial for the number nine role.
In recent days, the club have been linked with a move for a defensive midfielder, but there are suggestions that a centre-back could also be signed.
Jones has revealed that Branthwaite is a surprise target for the Red Devils, having impressed scouts during his season-long loan at PSV Eindhoven.
Branthwaite could be considered for back-up role
The 21-year-old had a productive loan stint at PSV last term. He was initially a back-up player for them, but became a consistent starter after the World Cup.
The centre-back ended the campaign with 37 appearances to his name. The England Under-21 international had a passing accuracy of 87 per cent.
Defensively, he averaged one tackle, 1.4 interceptions and 3.4 clearances for the Eredivisie giants. He also won an impressive 2.3 aerial duels per appearance.
Aside from this, Branthwaite also made six goal contributions. The youngster has yet to prove himself in the Premier League with just 10 outings thus far.
However, he had one memorable moment in 2021, scoring a late equaliser against Chelsea on the road.
Branthwaite can’t be judged on one season in the Eredivisie, but we won’t be surprised if United make an approach to sign him from the Toffees this month.
Erik ten Hag likes to work with upcoming talents. The Dutchman may have the belief that he can get the best out of the England youth international at United.
With two years left on his contract, the Toffees are prepared to sell him for £20 million.
Stats from Transfermarkt.com & Sofascore.com
- Confirmed Man Utd line-up vs Bournemouth, Reguilon starts
- Erik ten Hag hails Harry Maguire for winning November Player of the Month award, joins Ferdinand and Vidic in the elite list
- Man United make ‘enquiry’ for Stuttgart striker Serhou Guirassy, available for less than €20 million
- Predicted Man Utd line-up vs Bournemouth, Reguilon starts
- Manchester United send scouts to watch Braga vs Vizela with summer target Matheus Magalhaes in action
- Picture: Man Utd defender returns to training but Lindelof out & Rashford doubtful
- Rising from the ashes – Manchester United’s spectacular November revival
- ‘An incredible, good player’: Erik ten Hag on Marcus Rashford ahead of Bournemouth game
- Borussia Dortmund want €30 million or Jadon Sancho as Manchester United eye Donyell Malen, talks scheduled for today
- Erik ten Hag turns down Manchester United players’ request for more days off after complaints over workload and scheduling