Manchester United are eyeing a move for Bayer Leverkusen defender Edmond Tapsoba amid the injury concerns for Raphael Varane, according to Manchester Evening News.
The Red Devils were fancied to sign a centre-back this summer. Benjamin Pavard was the top target in August, but a deal did not materialise after Harry Maguire opted to stay.
The club are unlikely to strengthen their central defence in January due to Financial Fair Play issues, but there could be big investment in the department at the end of the season.
Manchester Evening News claim that United are eyeing an athletic centre-back like Tapsoba amid Varane’s brittleness while Victor Lindelof has entered the final year of his deal.
The Red Devils have the option to extend Lindelof’s stay for another year, but they could consider his future if he does not put pen-to-paper on a new long-term contract.
Tapsoba would be a good signing for Man Utd
United were on the look out for a physical centre-back during the early phase of the summer transfer window. Kim Min-jae was initially considered before his move to Bayern.
Axel Disasi emerged as an alternative to the South Korean, but Chelsea won the race to sign him.
Pavard was the main target for the Red Devils heading into August, but the deal was dependent on Maguire leaving. The Englishman refused to move to West Ham United.
In our view, the club are unlikely to invest big in January amid FFP issues. The scenario could change if Maguire is prepared to move on in the search for regular playing time.
Otherwise, United need to wait until next summer. Tapsoba signed a new contract recently, but Leverkusen could be open to selling him for a premium fee in future.
The Burkina Faso international is a good ball-playing centre-back, who likes to clear his lines. He is efficient in winning tackles and has an aerial presence with his height.
The 24-year-old has also impressed with his ball recoveries this term. He was valued at around £50 million this summer, and will most likely cost a higher sum in 10 months’ time.
Stats from Transfermarkt.com
- Confirmed Man Utd line-up vs Bournemouth, Reguilon starts
- Erik ten Hag hails Harry Maguire for winning November Player of the Month award, joins Ferdinand and Vidic in the elite list
- Man United make ‘enquiry’ for Stuttgart striker Serhou Guirassy, available for less than €20 million
- Predicted Man Utd line-up vs Bournemouth, Reguilon starts
- Manchester United send scouts to watch Braga vs Vizela with summer target Matheus Magalhaes in action
- Picture: Man Utd defender returns to training but Lindelof out & Rashford doubtful
- Rising from the ashes – Manchester United’s spectacular November revival
- ‘An incredible, good player’: Erik ten Hag on Marcus Rashford ahead of Bournemouth game
- Borussia Dortmund want €30 million or Jadon Sancho as Manchester United eye Donyell Malen, talks scheduled for today
- Erik ten Hag turns down Manchester United players’ request for more days off after complaints over workload and scheduling