Manchester United are interested in a January deal for Porto striker Mehdi Taremi, according to Italian outlet Inter Live.
The Red Devils signed Rasmus Hojlund from Atalanta during the summer transfer window and the Dane has already netted five goals in 14 appearances.
However, each of those have come in the Champions League. The 20-year-old will be hoping to open his Premier League scoring account as soon as possible.
Regardless of this, United are keen on signing ‘an experienced striker’ in January as they look to ‘lighten the load of responsibility’ on Hojlund’s shoulders.
Taremi has been identified as the prime target and the club could offer €10 million to Porto this winter.
The overall deal could cost €30m with wages for the next three-and-a-half seasons. Inter are also keen but may struggle to compete financially with United.
Taremi would be a handy back-up option for United
The 31-year-old was in spectacular form for Porto last term with 31 goals and 14 assists from 51 outings.
He was linked with a summer move away from the Primeira Liga outfit but none of the European clubs were willing to meet the €30m asking price to land his signature.
Al-Hilal were the only ones prepared to pay the sum, but Taremi opted against a move to Saudi Arabia.
This season, Taremi has three goals and three assists to date. He has not been in the same sparkling form, but he is a good option to have on the bench for United.
Anthony Martial has barely impressed in the Premier League and European games. Taremi would provide something different from the Frenchman as a target man.
The Iranian is also good with his link-up play in the final third. If United were to invest on him, it is most likely that Martial will be heading through the exit door.
The Frenchman’s existing contract expires next summer. United have the option to extend his deal by another year, but they are currently reluctant to do so.
Stats from Transfermarkt.com
- Erik ten Hag must pair Sofyan Amrabat with Kobbie Mainoo in midfield vs Bayern
- ‘3-0 looks like a good result’: Gary Neville reacts after Man Utd’s loss to Bournemouth
- Manchester United eyeing RB Leipzig forward Lois Openda ahead of January transfer window
- Erik ten Hag must start Raphael Varane in must-win UCL game vs Bayern
- Manchester United monitoring Manchester City midfielder Kalvin Phillips ahead of potential move, Erik ten Hag a huge fan
- Confirmed Man Utd line-up vs Bournemouth, Reguilon starts
- Erik ten Hag hails Harry Maguire for winning November Player of the Month award, joins Ferdinand and Vidic in the elite list
- Man United make ‘enquiry’ for Stuttgart striker Serhou Guirassy, available for less than €20 million
- Predicted Man Utd line-up vs Bournemouth, Reguilon starts
- Manchester United send scouts to watch Braga vs Vizela with summer target Matheus Magalhaes in action