Manchester United are interested in signing Roma centre-back Gianluca Mancini, according to Italian outlet Il Romanista.
The Red Devils have had an average start to the current campaign and they have suffered nine defeats in 18 games in all competitions.
Their defensive record has been disappointing and there are suggestions that they could pursue a new centre-back in the New Year.
Il Romanista claim that Mancini is a ‘welcome profile’ for the Red Devils. He has entered the sights of United, who need a ‘reliable’ central defender.
However, he won’t come on the cheap for the club with Roma’s hierarchy eyeing at least €30-35 million to part ways with the 27-year-old.
United should avoid signing Mancini from Roma
Mancini is a highly experienced defender and has accumulated nearly 200 appearances for Roma.
Despite this, we are not convinced over his ability to succeed in the Premier League. This season, he has a passing accuracy of 85 per cent in Serie A with one tackle and one interception per game.
The Italian averages just over three ball recoveries per appearance. He is good with his aerial challenges, but has lost possession on 10 occasions per game which is quite concerning for a central defender.
In our view, United should instead focus on landing long-term target Jean-Clair Todibo. He could be available for €40m and he is vastly superior in different aspects compared to Mancini.
The Frenchman has completed 90 per cent of his passes this term. He averages two tackles and 7.8 ball recoveries per outing for Nice in Ligue 1. Todibo would be an ideal signing for United.
The former Barcelona defender is only 23 years of age and would have time on his hands to adapt to the Premier League demands unlike Mancini, who will turning 28 in April next year.
Stats from Transfermarkt.com & Sofascore.com
- Erik ten Hag must pair Sofyan Amrabat with Kobbie Mainoo in midfield vs Bayern
- ‘3-0 looks like a good result’: Gary Neville reacts after Man Utd’s loss to Bournemouth
- Manchester United eyeing RB Leipzig forward Lois Openda ahead of January transfer window
- Erik ten Hag must start Raphael Varane in must-win UCL game vs Bayern
- Manchester United monitoring Manchester City midfielder Kalvin Phillips ahead of potential move, Erik ten Hag a huge fan
- Confirmed Man Utd line-up vs Bournemouth, Reguilon starts
- Erik ten Hag hails Harry Maguire for winning November Player of the Month award, joins Ferdinand and Vidic in the elite list
- Man United make ‘enquiry’ for Stuttgart striker Serhou Guirassy, available for less than €20 million
- Predicted Man Utd line-up vs Bournemouth, Reguilon starts
- Manchester United send scouts to watch Braga vs Vizela with summer target Matheus Magalhaes in action