Manchester United are interested in signing Jordan Pickford from Everton this summer.
David De Gea has endured a mixed 2022/23 campaign. He won the coveted Premier League Golden Glove but also made several high-profile errors.
According to talkSPORT, United are readying a move to bring Pickford to Old Trafford irrespective of De Gea’s future.
The Spain international will be out of contract at the end of this month.
Recent reports suggest that the veteran will sign a new deal with the Red Devils but won’t be guaranteed a starting spot.
Man Utd should avoid signing Jordan Pickford
De Gea has been the undisputed first choice this term but is not the ideal goalkeeper for Erik ten Hag’s tactical system.
The Dutchman wants a goalie who is a competent passer and can help the team to build up play from the back.
The 32-year-old looked uncomfortable doing that task and made glaring errors throughout the campaign.
His error-ridden displays against Sevilla and West Ham United showed that his shot-stopping ability is also declining.
If United’s summer transfer budget permits, they must sign a goalkeeper who can provide strong competition to De Gea.
Pickford played an instrumental role in maintaining Everton’s Premier League status this season, but getting him to Old Trafford would be a huge blunder.
The Merseyside club would demand around £30 million to sanction his departure.
Rather than chasing Pickford, United should increase their transfer budget and sign Inter Milan’s Andre Onana.
The 27-year-old has enjoyed a stellar campaign with the Italian side, helping them reach the Champions League final.
He showed great composure and vision to pass the ball, even in an intense high-profile European final against Manchester City.
Pickford is a fine goalkeeper but is not as confident with the ball at his feet as Onana.
If United want an upgrade over De Gea this summer, they must target Onana.
- Erik ten Hag must pair Sofyan Amrabat with Kobbie Mainoo in midfield vs Bayern
- ‘3-0 looks like a good result’: Gary Neville reacts after Man Utd’s loss to Bournemouth
- Manchester United eyeing RB Leipzig forward Lois Openda ahead of January transfer window
- Erik ten Hag must start Raphael Varane in must-win UCL game vs Bayern
- Manchester United monitoring Manchester City midfielder Kalvin Phillips ahead of potential move, Erik ten Hag a huge fan
- Confirmed Man Utd line-up vs Bournemouth, Reguilon starts
- Erik ten Hag hails Harry Maguire for winning November Player of the Month award, joins Ferdinand and Vidic in the elite list
- Man United make ‘enquiry’ for Stuttgart striker Serhou Guirassy, available for less than €20 million
- Predicted Man Utd line-up vs Bournemouth, Reguilon starts
- Manchester United send scouts to watch Braga vs Vizela with summer target Matheus Magalhaes in action