Manchester United are exploring the transfer market for a new left-back following the injury blow for Luke Shaw, according to Manchester Evening News.
The England international recently sustained a muscular injury, and it has been reported by David Ornstein that he could be on the sidelines for several weeks.
This has left United without a senior left-back in the squad, considering Tyrell Malacia has been injured since pre-season. He suffered the setback on international duty.
Young graduate Alvaro Fernandez is the natural replacement for United, but there are suggestions that he could be loaned out to Granada with a potential buy clause.
Diogo Dalot, who has played at left-back on occasions, is likely to start against Nottingham Forest. Lisandro Martinez could be another makeshift option.
Hence, we are not surprised that United are in the market for a new left-back on a ‘short-term basis’.
Shaw’s injury could force United to spend on new left-back
United recently permitted the departure of Brandon Williams to Ipswich Town on loan. The 22-year-old could have been an option to fill the void left by Shaw’s injury.
In our view, Dalot is now likely to start against Forest on Saturday. Fernandez had a good loan stint at Preston North End last term, but has yet to make his United debut.
This could be a reason behind the club’s interest in pursuing a new left-back. Manager Erik ten Hag could be reluctant to play Fernandez due to his lack of Premier League experience.
With just a week left before the transfer deadline, United are now facing a race against time to pursue a short-term replacement. It won’t be easy to sign a top-class left-back.
Stats from Transfermarkt.com
- ‘If you are good enough, you are old enough’: Erik ten Hag says Kobbie Mainoo is ready to face Galatasaray
- Valencia and Real Sociedad eyeing potential summer move for Manchester United forward Mason Greenwood
- Erik ten Hag confirms Rasmus Hojlund and Antony are available for selection vs Galatasaray
- Man United handed huge injury boost as Rasmus Hojlund and Antony return to training
- Newcastle United’s home prowess set to test Manchester United’s resurgence
- Man Utd in the front line to sign Joao Neves but Benfica aim to increase release clause
- Preview: Galatasaray vs Manchester United – prediction, team news, line-ups
- Sofyan Amrabat’s future at United no longer obvious with Kobbie Mainoo’s emergence
- Man United interested in Leipzig striker Timo Werner
- Stats show Harry Maguire has fared better than Arsenal star William Saliba in defensive actions