There is no doubt that Manchester United will be in the market for another centre-back this summer.
Last summer we signed Victor Lindelof in hope he would be Eric Bailly’s long-term partner in the centre of our defence. However, the Swede has failed to settle into life in England and has subsequently only made 11 Premier League starts this season – a number of these due to shortages in defence.
It’s apparent that Jose Mourinho doesn’t see either Phil Jones or Chris Smalling as a long-term solution either, and as a result we have been linked to a number of centre-backs ahead of the upcoming transfer window.
One of these is Barcelona’s Samuel Umtiti and the reports simply refuse to go away. So far the 24-year-old has stalled on a new contract offer from the runaway La Liga leaders amid reports he has a €52 million (£45.5m) buy-out clause in his contract.
Spanish outlet Don Balon are now reporting that we could sign Samuel Umtiti for €60 million (£52.5m) instead this summer. For a player of his quality and for the club he plays for this would be considered a fine deal for us should we be successful.
The report also goes on to say that we could also land Sevilla centre-back Clement Lenglet for €45 million (£39.5m). The 22-year-old has been excellent for the Andalusian club this season, notably in their Champions League second round victory against us.
A double deal for €105 million (£92m) for two top players seems like good business but we may have to take these rumours with a pinch of salt. Jose only needs one more centre-back in his team, unless he believes Eric Bailly’s injuries are too much of a problem. I am at least confident we’ll land one of these two over the summer.
- Erik ten Hag can finally unleash his best attack against Galatasaray tonight
- Predicted Man Utd line-up vs Galatasaray, Hannibal Mejbri returns
- Why Man Utd should sign Antonio Silva instead of Jean-Clair Todibo
- David de Gea sends message to Manchester United defender Lisandro Martinez as Argentine is ruled out for months
- Man Utd missing eight players for Galatasaray clash as Lisandro Martinez’s surgery is confirmed
- Boost for Man Utd with Hakim Ziyech missing from Galatasaray’s travelling squad
- Kobbie Mainoo returns to Manchester United training after picking up injury in pre-season
- Dermot Gallagher: Officials made right decision not to award Manchester United penalty against Crystal Palace after ball struck Joel Ward’s arm
- Erik ten Hag confirms Antony will be in consideration for Galatasaray clash
- Three goals in last four meetings – Man Utd must be wary of Wilfried Zaha threat on Tuesday